How do I store 25kg of DME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justflow1983

Reaction score
I posted this in the Extracts forum but wanted to see if I got any different ideas from here:

My Local online home brew shop has 25kg bags of light DME for the same price as 4 3kg bags. While this is a huge cost savings, how does one actually store the stuff without getting 25kg of toffee...?

Also, does the beer taste less fresh if the extract gets stale?

I'd love to shave 15 euros off the cost of a brew day, but not if I'm going to have a giant lump of DME and stale tasting beer.

Any thoughts? I'm probably leaving Ireland in about 18 months or so I'm sticking to extract brewing to keep my equipment level light, but extract's expensive!

air tight buckets? I have a bulk bag as well, but have yet to open it (got behind on brewing). So, I'm interested in suggestions as well.

Food Saver (Vacuum Packer) - I keep my DME in a Food Saver vac sealed bag. It's a bit difficult to get the seal initially. I figured out to use a paper towel in the bag just before the seal. This keeps the sticky powder from corrupting the seal. The food saver bags come in rolls. So you can literally choose how big to make the bags. So when you do "package" your bulk DME, you can pre-weigh the packages. They're not cheap, but they sure are nice for buying bulk.

I believe you, the week I came here to visit before I moved here (already had the job) it was 80 and sunny the whole time... its been like that maybe 10 days in the 2 years since.

Well I'm glad that there doesn't seem to be staleness issues, my brew buddy was skeptical of the freshness of 25kg, although I think we could kill the bag by christmas if we wanted to.

Back