How do I mount a pole in my large pot for a hop trellis?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcfire12

Reaction score
Well I ended up getting some half whiskey barrels to grow my 3 hop plants in. I need to figure out the trellis now. How are people mounting a pole in the pots? I thought about pouring concrete into a 3" pvc tube with a galvanized pipe in the middle and somehow running 3 wires or rope down to the edge of the pot and training the hops up each wire? I have no idea what i'm doing I feel like. I believe I read one with one hop plant I can run two bines up each of the three strings? My plants will be here soon and I have no idea how i'm going to go about this. I would really like to get the trellis system into the pots before I plant them. Any help from anyone who has grown hops in pots? These containers are massive, bigger then 20 gallons, so I think I should be ok for a year or two before I get them into the ground after I move.

That sounds like you've got a plan, pretty much anything you can do to get the height. It definitely helps to have a pretty secure base and then use something strong a light to mount to the anchor. It sounds like you are going to slide the pipe into the pvc anchor? That seems pretty secure. Maybe put a cotter pin through both poles at bottom.

Hops are easy to grow, once then get pretty big in the pot and are trainable up the twine just take two bines from each plant and wind them (I think clockwise from the top IIRC) and then just cut the rest to let all the energy go up. Have fun!

Back