How do I get rid of this delicious hoppy goodness?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyWarrior

Reaction score
I've got a hoppy IPA that has been fermenting for three weeks. Now looking to bottle it.

The problem is that I have about three inches of thick hop krausen on top. Sadly I don't have a fridge big enough to hold it to cold crash.

Is there any way to get rid of it prior to bottling, without risking oxygen?

Pic attached. Thanks!

image.jpg

It's been three weeks - shall I leave for longer? I'm in no rush with this one - it's my annual August beer!

I would give it a good shake. Once those hops are off the bubbles they'll sink and compact to the bottom. Don't worry about oxygenation, all those bubbles are CO2.

First, if that is your annual august beer you brewed it way too early!

Second, take some gravity readings. If it is stable over 2-3 days then bottle it up.

Third, IPA needs to be fresh. See point 1. Brew your august beer in July.

Not necessarily. That's why they began brewing IPAs, so they'd last longer! Fair enough the hop will mellow over time, but no big deal.

I disagree that hops mellowing out is no big deal, but I brew IPA to be absolute hop monsters. I want to be able to smell the bottle from across the room when it's open and have no problem dropping a pound or more on a batch to make that happen. It's not like the beer will go bad or anything, just not as flavourful as one might like

Just had a good shake. Thanks!

Ouch. Next time, do NOT shake or otherwise agitate the beer.

Simply siphon out from the middle, lowering the racking cane down as the level of the beer lowers so you siphon the good stuff. I do it all the time.

If the SG is not changing, it's ready to bottle. Most hobby beers are best fresh.

Alot of time, hops debris doesn't sink and that's fine. You can just siphon from the middle, as you want to bottle sooner and not later with a highly hoppped beer.

I'd suggest cold crashing for the 4th time (oblivious to the fact you cant)

but seriously, if the FG has been stable (which at 3 weeks is very likely for an IPA) just punch through that crap and bottle. What yeast strain did you use? I know when I use WY1318, for instance, there's a good chance that krausen will never fall. Other times, a gentle rocking will make it settle overnight

Then just brew beer with less hops. Why spend the money on something that will have no benefit other than oxidize and make off flavors?

because aging beer adds different flavours?
because adding the extra hops at the start keeps the balance with hops.
maybe he likes strong hops and well aged flavour?

because aging beer adds different flavours?
because adding the extra hops at the start keeps the balance with hops.
maybe he likes strong hops and well aged flavour?

Gross. The darker beers develop melanoidans when they oxidize over time that are enjoyable. Lighter beers with high levels of hops just oxidize and turn to cardboard. The only people I've met that like those kinds of beer are the ones that haven't tasted exceptional beer.

A well developed recipe doesn't need to age forever to reach a peak. Generally beer is a short term beverage. A couple months? Sure. But really most beer past 2 months is on the downhill side. How steep that slope is depends on the beer. There are SOME beers that age well but those beers are not heavily hopped.

Show me data...because my personal experience shows that 3-6 months gives no real cardboard flavour, and if you bottle correctly it shouldn't oxidize at all.

Melanoidin only develops at near boiling, so i have no clue what you are implying there?

Show me data...because my personal experience shows that 3-6 months gives no real cardboard flavour, and if you bottle correctly it shouldn't oxidize at all.

Melanoidin only develops at near boiling, so i have no clue what you are implying there?

It really depends on the beer style as to what will age well. In general, hoppy beers are not meant to age as hop aroma and flavor dissipates quickly. Some bigger, more complex beers can take quite a bit of aging and still improve.

The biggest flaw I have noted in all of the competitions I have judged is oxidation. And some beers, like barley wine, oxidation is to be expected and is pleasant giving the beer a nice Sherry note. In younger and or lighter beers oxidation usually starts to present as a bit of staleness or some of that Sherry flavor.

It is almost impossible to not exhibit any signs of oxidation, no matter how careful you are. But in cases where it is not severe, it can add a bit of depth to the flavor.

For my IPAs and pale ales, I usually go grain to glass in about three weeks. Four medium gravity complex beers, like a stout it is more like 5 to 6 weeks. My lager generally are about four months old when consumed. A cream ill is generally best fairly fresh but a tiny bit of cold conditioning, say a week or two can really enhance the clean crisp flavor.

If a Brewer finds that a beer really needs weeks and weeks of aging to come together, there are things that can be done in the process like ensuring the proper fermentation temperature or the proper yeast amounts are pitched. Some cases, where there are a lot of complex flavors a beer will need time for the flavors to meld.

I manage that for my first bottles, but the last ones of a batch will be at least a 2 months in the bottle.

how about wheat beer or steam beer?

I probably never see this happen because I do cold crash. Fresh is good for IPA. I'd listen to the advice saying measure for 3 days then bottle if SG is stable and good.

Back