How do homebrew busts go down in MS and AL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In fact, i didn't realize it was illegal to brew in oklahoma until recently when they started to get the law changed.

until they changed the law people could only legally brew wine and cider but not beer. now that the law has been passed they can brew beer as long as the ABV is below 3.2%. but really they have no way of checking that, not enough enforcement agents. heck before they changed the law people where brewing beer and no one was checking.

I really have to add that new slab of concrete to my garage so I can start homebrewing out in view of the public. I just want the police to stop by and start asking questions. I'm lonely.

what thread would love to read this story.

He's referring to what happened to Scott Oberman. OlllllO posted this link earlier in this thread. Here's my understanding of what happened. Scott was never prosecuted and never got in "real trouble." I'm not aware of anyone actually being arrested or charged for homebrewing in at least a decade, and there's a very small chance of anything happening so long as you don't call attention to yourself. That said, there's always the chance some hotheaded young guy becomes an ABC agent and decides he wants to end the evils of alcohol, but even then, ABC seems a lot more interested in stills and underage drinking than in homebrewing. They are actually on board with passing the law legalizing homebrewing. Scott is still an active member of the Rocket City Homebrewers, but because ABC has a signed document that says he's aware of the laws about homebrewing and the article with his name is still floating around, he won't brew anything at his house until the law is changed.

I believe he was a importer/exporter.....giving some serious thought on focusing just on the importing.

mississippi sucks nuts. at least alabama can enjoy a 6%+ beer now. a city nearby recently passed an ordnance allowing for the sale of beer, but when it came to liquor they said no. i guess it's worse for you somehow? that's the kind of backwards logic that pervades mississippi's political realm. you can see it in our state alcohol laws too. i have yet to have one single politician/person explain why beer over 6% ABV should be illegal when you can go to just about any local liquor store and buy a $15 bottle of 95% ABV Everclear.

lpdb185, what part of MS are you from? I am up in Starkville.

I moved here from California about 8 years ago. It was a real culture shock when I moved here. The beer laws here, on a regular basis, really get my blood pressure up. I've always felt that the beer laws are they way they are because of religion and ignorance. It wasn't until two years ago we could buy on Sunday and it was a similar pain in the butt to get cold beer. A lot of people against higher alcohol beer also argue that it's going to make kids drink more. Why would a high school kid spend money on high-end beer when he could buy liquor or cheap beer?

Since I have been here, I haven't heard of any busts. I don't hide my hobby. I feel that if the cops come bust down my door, then they have their priorities screwed up, especially since there is a huge problem with meth in this state. However, some friends of mine who do brew were wanting to start a club, but we have not followed through with anything for fear of sticking out.

i'm from the laurel/hattiesburg area. i've been to cali 2 or 3 times and it is definately a HUGE cultural difference, especially if you get away from the college towns here. the cold beer thing was a city ordnance to keep the students from MSU (you i suppose) from getting too drunk :rolleyes:. but yeah, that's the kind of stupid **** we get down here. honestly, most people in MS don't really think like that. but, the greatest majority of voters and politically influential people here are old, white, southern baptists. so if the politicians want to get re-elected, they will cater to old white southern baptists. sometimes it reminds me of the mentality that led to the witch trials and earlier prohibition, the blindingly ignorant religious reformation mentality. but it's really more than that. in MS, you can make your own wine, but it
's illegal to homebrew beer (at least that's how i understand it). you can get 95% abv liquor, but are limited to 6% abv beer. this is beyond religion and well into the realm of sheer ignorance and failed logic.

as far as getting busted for homebrewing, it's probably unlikely. OTOH, i'm a cop and i've been with ABC to serve a warrant or two at some illegally operating bars. they mainly focus on underage drinking/sales, illegal operations, and illegal distilleries. i don't imagine you'd be arrested or prosecuted, but if you press the issue hard enough it's quite possible.

We will find out shortly how these things go down. A local brewer did an interview for a town magazine and discussed homebrewing and the grassroots org. Raise Your Pints. While i don't think anything bad will happen to him, i do think this is the most public display of brewing i've see in town. Outside of a parade or trying to sell homebrew, this is likely the best way to bring the heat down on brewing. But again, i don't see that as being a serious concern.

However, some friends of mine who do brew were wanting to start a club, but we have not followed through with anything for fear of sticking out.

In case you're interested, here's how the Rocket City Brewers club works: We have a website that is really just a front for a forum. If you're not registered, you can't access any of the forum information (including the list of members). In order to complete the registration process, you have to attend one of the monthly meetings (if you sign up and contact the administrator, he'll send you the details of when/where the meeting is being held). We have meetings at the houses of various members.

I'd say go ahead and start a club. It's a great way to get good feedback on your beers and experience other styles you haven't tried before. I know that I've learned a great deal just tasting beers and listening to the other guys in the club (some of whom have been brewing for 10-20 years) indicate off flavors and critique various brews people bring to the meetings. As long as you're reasonably careful, having a club shouldn't bring any more attention to you than just homebrewing on your own.

Well look at Georgia, we can brew up to 50 gallons a year. But who checks or really cares.

As far as drawing attention to ones self. Buying and having several pounds of grain in your garage isn't going to cause a problem. It is explaining why you have a couple hundred pounds of sugar in your garage.

As for the law enforcement, I know a few that brew. To include me. And I have several partners that love to sample my homebrew. But most of the guys I work with would not know a still from a brewery. Unless they have been in my garage. It is not somethng we come in contact with every day. I would suggest invite them in show off your brewing knowledge. You might just turn someone else onto this awesome hobby!

Also law enforcement people are like everyone else. We like to have a good time, like everyone esle. If the guy is a jerk, just remember those few you have at your job that are real jerks, that most people can't stand. Guess what, we have them too!!!!

I was out brewing in my driveway a few months ago here in NC, and the sheriff drove by. Not a deputy, THE sheriff in his custom Dodge Charger Police Cruiser. He sees me, backs up and pulls in the driveway and asked if I was making corn liquor.

I laughed out loud and told him it was beer. He laughed and said he thought so but he had to ask.

Well, I live in a pretty nice golf course community off of the 17th green, a place where you see all kinds of people going behind the house playing their rounds. We're also ten houses up from the clubhouse and get all kinds of traffic out front too. Running a still there would be pretty damned dumb.

Unless I did it inside using one of these. Can't believe that's on E-Bay.

Blah. I'm at work and can't see the video. Were they simply brewing or were they distilling? Because that's total BS if they were just brewing. If they were distilling, then they MIGHT have been able to get enough methanol in their brew to hurt someone, but then only if they were REALLY bad with their initial fermentation. I highly doubt it.

Ahh those pesky strains of yeast that make methanol!

Most of these laws not matter what state are stupid............1) Alabama - Beer 16oz or below container...why? 2) All states have some sort of limit on ABV on beer.......Why? 3) Homebrewing limits? (Granted hard to track) Why?

I can go on but what's the point..........I used to think man these laws are because a bunch of self richious a$$ holes think they know what's best for everyone........then well that doesn't exactly explain things as they would be against all forms not just beer.

So I question why?

Oh then I hear a radio ad for a local guy running for governor that states "I believe that the Holy Bible is the word of God"............Why? I mean why the hell do I care about this man's religion? I care if he can fix my screwed up state.

Sorry I started down a path that just pisses me off.........

One day perhaps a man in America will truely be free...........free to live a life that makes him happy and do what he wants on his own property(as long as it doesn't hurt others)..........perhaps one day.....wait we have a two party dictatorship so never mind...........We hold elections and don't realize they the two parties just take turns screwing us.........

Jumping off my soap box now.........wishing I was enjoying a nice homebrew instead of being at work today..........

i'm from the laurel/hattiesburg area. i've been to cali 2 or 3 times and it is definately a HUGE cultural difference, especially if you get away from the college towns here. the cold beer thing was a city ordnance to keep the students from MSU (you i suppose) from getting too drunk :rolleyes:. but yeah, that's the kind of stupid **** we get down here. honestly, most people in MS don't really think like that. but, the greatest majority of voters and politically influential people here are old, white, southern baptists. so if the politicians want to get re-elected, they will cater to old white southern baptists. sometimes it reminds me of the mentality that led to the witch trials and earlier prohibition, the blindingly ignorant religious reformation mentality. but it's really more than that. in MS, you can make your own wine, but it
's illegal to homebrew beer (at least that's how i understand it). you can get 95% abv liquor, but are limited to 6% abv beer. this is beyond religion and well into the realm of sheer ignorance and failed logic.

as far as getting busted for homebrewing, it's probably unlikely. OTOH, i'm a cop and i've been with ABC to serve a warrant or two at some illegally operating bars. they mainly focus on underage drinking/sales, illegal operations, and illegal distilleries. i don't imagine you'd be arrested or prosecuted, but if you press the issue hard enough it's quite possible.

I completely agree about the ordinances here. I have had some ideas for businesses to cater to the college students, but I have not followed through on anything for fear of my business being trashed by the drunk college kids. I also agree how the politics word around here.

I know it's unlikely for me to cause any issues with law enforcement. I can agree with busting illegal bars.

Also law enforcement people are like everyone else. We like to have a good time, like everyone esle. If the guy is a jerk, just remember those few you have at your job that are real jerks, that most people can't stand. Guess what, we have them too!!!!

Good point.

In case you're interested, here's how the Rocket City Brewers club works: We have a website that is really just a front for a forum. If you're not registered, you can't access any of the forum information (including the list of members). In order to complete the registration process, you have to attend one of the monthly meetings (if you sign up and contact the administrator, he'll send you the details of when/where the meeting is being held). We have meetings at the houses of various members.

I'd say go ahead and start a club. It's a great way to get good feedback on your beers and experience other styles you haven't tried before. I know that I've learned a great deal just tasting beers and listening to the other guys in the club (some of whom have been brewing for 10-20 years) indicate off flavors and critique various brews people bring to the meetings. As long as you're reasonably careful, having a club shouldn't bring any more attention to you than just homebrewing on your own.

Thanks for the info. I need to look into seeing how many people would be interested. From what I can tell, there are only 5 - 6 people that I know of that brew around here. At this point, I am thinking about traveling a bit to other larger cities to participate in a brew club. Also living in a college town, most of my friends, graduate students, come and go, so I think it might be difficult to keep a steady flow of people interested.

Oh then I hear a radio ad for a local guy running for governor that states "I believe that the Holy Bible is the word of God"............Why? I mean why the hell do I care about this man's religion? I care if he can fix my screwed up state.

I'm not sure whether you lean Republican or Democrat (I consider myself a conservative independent), but here's what I understand about the gubernatorial candidates in Alabama:
Bentley explicitly stated that he would veto alcohol legislation. He might be good on some other issues, but he's likely bad for beer culture in our state.
Moore's claim to fame is his refusal to take the Ten Commandments down from his courtroom wall. He's going to be at least as much of a Bible-thumper as Bentley, and I've seen even fewer positives for Moore.
I don't know quite as much about Byrne, but he appears to be a clone of Riley. For what it's worth, Riley was originally intending to veto the gourmet beer bill last year but bowed to pressure from all the phone calls he got slammed with. He has vetoed a number of other alcohol related bills. If Byrne is in line with Riley on this issue, he probably won't be as bad as Bentley or Moore, but he's probably not going to be a net negative where beer laws are concerned.
James is a Presbyterian (as opposed to the ruling Southern Baptists and Church of Christ/Church of God crowds that are overwhelmingly neo-prohibitionist) and seems to have a bit of a libertarian streak - in other words, he's not starting from an anti-alcohol philosophy. A friend of mine is working on James' campaign, and I think James' primary concerns are economics and business related. I think he'd respond quite favorably to the brewery modernization act, and it appears he'd be pretty open to other alcohol bills, especially where it offers a net positive to the state income.

I really don't know anything about the Democratic candidates, and my thoughts on the Republicans may be a bit off. But that's my take so far.

Most of these laws not matter what state are stupid............1) Alabama - Beer 16oz or below container...why? 2) All states have some sort of limit on ABV on beer.......Why? 3) Homebrewing limits? (Granted hard to track) Why?

Kind of nit-picking, but according to this wikipedia entry, only eight states have a beer ABV limit. A few more require beer above a certain ABV to be sold under a liquor license or in state controlled liquor stores, but most states have no ABV limit.

Kind of nit-picking, but according to this wikipedia entry, only eight states have a beer ABV limit. A few more require beer above a certain ABV to be sold under a liquor license or in state controlled liquor stores, but most states have no ABV limit.

Note that that Wikipedia entry isn't wrong per se, but it's pretty misleading in a lot of areas--for instance, it notes that Virginia has no open container law. That's true, but almost every county or city* does, which in effect makes open container illegal in the vast majority of the state.

*VA is strange in that cities aren't in counties; every city is outside of a county, and no county contains a city; every city in VA is like that. Outside of VA, Baltimore, MD, Carson City, NV, and St Louis, MO are the only analogous independent cities in the nation that aren't in a county.

There are, however, many cities that share a border with the coterminous county a la Denver, Nashville, Philly, San Francisco, New Orleans, Honolulu, and tons of others, and there are 4 other notable goofy localities in Nantucket (coterminous town/county), Miami-Dade Florida (federated county/city), New York City (subdivided into 5 burroughs, each of which is coterminous with a county) and Washington DC (federal district outside all states).

*VA is strange in that cities aren't in counties; every city is outside of a county, and no county contains a city; every city in VA is like that. Outside of VA, Baltimore, MD, Carson City, NV, and St Louis, MO are the only analogous independent cities in the nation that aren't in a county.

That is weird.

Back