How did you get into home brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife bought me a full beer equipment kit for Christmas after seeing how much I liked using the Mr. Beer kit I'd gotten for my birthday. Just bottled my Blue Moon clone 2 days ago- it's my 2nd batch ever so I hope it turns out ok!

When I was about 15,my dad got a 1 gallon wine making kit as a gift. He never made it,& gave it to me to try. Everyone loved it & dad loved bragging about how good it was. I made wine till about age 30,then got tired of waiting at least a year for it to be ready to drink.
Flash forward to Christmas 2010,& we were watching videos on youtube. My middle son comes in & asks me why don't I start making wine again? Well,the wife & I decided we like beer mo betta nowadays. So I punched up beer brewing in the youtube search box. Craigtube popped up,then pho,steejan,revolutionary brewer,& some others videos that are members here. I was impressed by how easy it was now,& started searching for sites that sold this home brewing stuff. I decided to get the Cooper's microbrew kit,since it came with everything,including bottles. And craigtube used it to show how easy it was to make some good looking beer (from my viewpoint).
I came up with many different ways to brew beer with other extracts,hops,etc added to those Cooper's cans. Now I'm on my 5th partial mash beer,& wish pop was here to taste them. My wife loved all my beers,& brewed a couple times hereself,even helping me. Then she turned into a type 1 diabetic,& that killed it for her. She hates it too. Gotta figure something out for her. But this partial mash stuff has sparked my love for brewing again. Especially since I solved my mash temp problem. Typical American solution that took me a couple times before it came to me.

Have you looked into gluten free beer? I am unsure if it is any better for diabetics...... but may be a possibility.

Back