How cool do i have to keep my yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i make my starter in a flask, cover the top with foil and stick it in my ferm chamber a couple days before brewing. its worked out fine so far. If i didnt have a ferm chamber, id probably just leave it in a cool area of the house (low-mid 70's, high 60's).

You definitely want your yeast to be in the very close neighborhood of temperature as what you're pitching into. Yes.

Ok so since it's going to be in the 80's in NY a mini-swamp cooler is in order to keep it around 68. Sound right.

Honestly I wouldn't bother....When you are making a starter, you're not drinking the beer on top. So it doesn't really matter if any off flavors occur because of the temps. Most of us who make starters just leave it on the kitchen counter and forget about it.

That's really my question I suppose will any off flavors carry over onto my beer?

That's really my question I suppose will any off flavors carry over onto my beer?

No, just make sure you poor out the wort that you made the starter with first and when it gets cloudy stop and pitch the rest. This is of course after the yeasties have already multiplied and settled out on the bottom of your vessel.

The off flavors come from the wort that you used to make the starter.

Honestly I wouldn't bother....When you are making a starter, you're not drinking the beer on top. So it doesn't really matter if any off flavors occur because of the temps. Most of us who make starters just leave it on the kitchen counter and forget about it.

Same here, I think aeration is more important for a yeast starter then ambient air temp.

Back