How cold is too cold for keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreaded_rust

Reaction score
I got a keg set up for Christmas and recently kegged up an Irish red ale (6.4% abv)on Monday. I wont have my fridge until at least next weekend and then it will take a bit of time to set up. I've been storing this keg in the pantry with the co2 tank hooked up set at 12 psi.

My question is, can I just put my full keg in the garage until the fridge is ready? It has been pretty cold here in SW Idaho recently, sometimes dropping into single digit temps and then reach into the 40s just days later. My garage is not insulated well. Is this too cold to store a keg? Will the temperature swings have negative effects on the beer?

The only problem I have had with my kegs in the garage (upstate NY) is the keg lube on the lid's o-ring can freeze. In return it makes taking the lid off very difficult and I tore an o-ring b/c of this. But regarding the beer, I think it would be fine. I keep bottles of beer out in my garage and they don't freeze. Also, my garage is not insulated either.

Just a note that if you have your keg at ambient temps and set at 12psi, that's going to result in an under-carbed beer. At 70°F, you'd want closer to 30psi to achieve about 2.5 vols of carbonation.

And to me, I wouldn't risk the beer freezing by putting it outside. With single digit temps, I'd find it hard to believe that it wouldn't freeze at least partially.

I wouldn't put it out there. Not sure how long itd take to freeze 5 gallons but think about this. Ever put a beer in the freezer to get it cold and leave it in a bit too long? Only takes about an hour to begin to freeze. Freezer is probably around 0F.

Just googling beer freeze temp shows 27F. Of course 5 gallons will take awhile longer but i wouldnt risk it. Should be ok to just keg the beer and leave it until you get your fridge.

Latest posts

Back