How can I . . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newfermenter1

Reaction score
I am wanting to do another "mini mash" this weekend, but also want to reduce the cost of the ingredients by reducing the amount of LME by increasing the amount of grains I use in the mash. I have a nice MLT (five gal cooler) and have plenty of room for more grain (yet not enough equip for all grain brewing yet) Is there a rough guideline/measurement for bulking up the "grain bill" and reducing the extract $bill$, (using two row)
:confused:

I would suggest mashing as much as you can and making up the rest with extract to get to your target SG. Use a program like beersmith or beer tools pro to figure out the exact numbers. They both offer free demos.

If you want to post up or PM me a recipe, I can give you a larger Partial Mash conversion via Beersmith.

jds said:
If you want to post up or PM me a recipe, I can give you a larger Partial Mash conversion via Beersmith.

Thank you, I will post it once I get back from taking the dog to his favorite place . . the Vet:mug:

No problem. When you do post, please let me know what volume you are comfortable boiling. I need that to keep from giving you a mash that is too thick or too thin.

jds said:
No problem. When you do post, please let me know what volume you are comfortable boiling. I need that to keep from giving you a mash that is too thick or too thin.

Well here it is, a big recipe but it should be a fun challenge. Thanks for the help!

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. (Beer Captured recipe)
5gal
Og: 1.088-1090
Fg: 1.022-1.023
Srm:100+
Ibu: 47
Abv: 8.4

Mini Mash Method;
Mash 1.5lb British 2-row Pale Malt w/ specialty grains @ 150 for 90min.
15oz. (425g) British Chocolate Malt
7oz (198g) British Roasted Barley
4oz (113g) Flaked Wheat
3oz. (85g) British Black Patent Malt

Follow extract recipe omitting 2lb (906g) Muntons Light Dry Malt Extract.

Extract Recipe (w/o the 2lb omission);
9.lb (4.08kg) Muntons Light Dry Malt Extract
1.lb (453g) Muntons Wheat Dry Malt Extract
4 oz Malto Dextrin

Add water until volume in brew pot is 3.5gal (13.3liters) (at this point I can handle a 5 gal boil, but if I need to use another kettle I guess I could do that as well) boil then add:

Hop;
3oz East Kent Goldings @ 4.2AA (bittering) (might try to reduce this, and bring the IBU’s down to around 40 something? Might not make a difference though)

Last 15 min;
1/2oz East Kent Goldings
1/2oz Cascade
1tsp Irish Moss

Last 5 min;
1/2oz Willamette
1/2oz Cascade

Yeast;
Wyeast 1056 American Ale (with a recommended addition of another dose 3 days before bottling.

You can see this beer won’t be ready before winter! Always need to plan ahead!
:rockin:

Here's what I've come up with. I reformulated this to get you to a partial mash with 3.5 gallons of water after mashing, but substituting 2-row pale malt for light DME. I didn't substitute for the wheat DME, but feel free to tweak. You will need to sparge this mash well, and with hot (175 degree) water to extract the sugars. I targeted you for 65% efficiency, which should be do-able, even with a single sparge. I'd keep some extra DME on hand, in case your mash efficency is lower than 65%.

Here's the recipe:

Code:
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
Brewer: Newfermenter1
Asst Brewer: jds
Style: American Stout
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal      
Boil Size: 3.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.087 SG
Estimated Color: 44.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 46.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % r IBU      
6 lbs         Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)               Dry Extract  46.83 %       
1 lbs         Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)               Dry Extract  7.80 %        
4 lbs         Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM)            Grain        31.22 %       
15.0 oz       Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM)                Grain        7.32 %        
7.0 oz        Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)                Grain        3.41 %        
4.0 oz        Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)                   Grain        1.95 %        
3.0 oz        Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)           Grain        1.46 %        
2.50 oz       Goldings, East Kent [4.20 %]  (60 min)    Hops         18.5 IBU      
0.50 oz       Cascade [5.50 %]  (15 min)                Hops         2.4 IBU       
0.50 oz       Goldings, East Kent [4.20 %]  (15 min)    Hops         1.8 IBU       
0.50 oz       Cascade [5.50 %]  (5 min)                 Hops         1.0 IBU       
0.50 oz       Williamette [5.50 %]  (5 min)             Hops         0.9 IBU       
1 Pkgs        American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [Starter Yeast-Ale                  

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 5.81 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
45 min        Mash In            Add 7.27 qt of water at 170.5 F     158.0 F

Instructions for brewing are as follows:

Code:
 1-2 Days Before Brewing Prepare Yeast Starter
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [Starter 1000 ml] Yeast-Ale 

Clean and prepare equipment. 
 --  Measure ingredients, crush grains. 
 --  Prepare 4.20 gal water for brewing 
 --  Prepare Ingredients for Mash
Amount Item Type 
4 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 
15.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 
7.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 
4.0 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 
3.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 

--  WARNING: Preheat Mash Tun - No equipment adjustments made! 
 2 min Mash Ingredients
Mash In: Add 7.27 qt of water at 170.5 F 
 45 min - Hold mash at 158.0 F for 45 min 
 --  Drain Mash Tun 
 --  Batch Sparge Round 1: Sparge with 2.38 gal of 175.0 F water. 
 --  Add water to achieve boil volume of 3.50 gal 
 --  Estimated Pre-boil Gravity is: 1.124 SG with all grains/extracts adde 
 Boil for 60 min Boil Ingredients
Boil Amount Item Type 
60 min 2.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.20 %] (60 min) Hops 
15 min 1 lbs Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 
15 min 6 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 
15 min 0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 
15 min 0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.20 %] (15 min) Hops 
5 min 0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 
5 min 0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 

--  Cool wort to fermentation temperature 
 --  Add water (as needed) to achieve volume of 5.00 gal 
 --  Siphon wort to primary fermenter and aerate wort. 
 --  Add Ingredients to Fermenter
Amount Item Type 
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [Starter 1000 ml] Yeast-Ale

If you can handle a larger boil, then use more sparge water. If you do, you'll find that your hops utilization will go up, due to the lower gravity in the boil. Also, in order to get the 40-ish IBU's you want, you MUST add the extracts late in the boil, otherwise you'll only get about half utilization. Questions? Want the .bsm file? Let me know.

If somebody wants to check the math or sees any huge snags, please let me (and, more importantly, Newfermenter1) know. I'd hate to screw up his stout!

I really appreciate you taking the time to help out with the recipe! I will let you know how it turns out for sure! I am told not to allow temptation to get ahold of me, and to wait 4 months before drinking (although samples must be taken!) and the beer actually peaks between 6 and 12 months. At cellar temps it is supposed to last up to 3 years, but unless I choose to "loose" one or two somewhere in the basement that is never going to happen! It should be a good winter brew!

Thanks again for taking the time, from one Colorado Brewer to another! (Ft. Collins native)
:mug:

Liquidicem said:
I would suggest mashing as much as you can and making up the rest with extract to get to your target SG. Use a program like beersmith or beer tools pro to figure out the exact numbers. They both offer free demos.

bingo. mash as much as you possibly can. partial mashes are only done because the brewer has no method of boiling a full five gallons.

if you can boil 4 gallons, mash to that amount and you'll lower your DME/LME requirements. more of a 'top off' with extract rather than 50/50 grain/extract like many recipes are setup for.

my first PM was a Kolsch with 5lbs of grain. the same recipe as AG is only like 8lbs of grain.

Latest posts

Back