How can I dry out this recipe more?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macabra11

Reaction score
I want to make a Guinness-like/Irish Stout with some guinness I soured, but I would like it to be a little drier and have a lower FG. What could I do to this recipe to "dry it out" more?

70% efficiency - OG 1.050 - FG 1.014 - 29º SRM - 4.8% ABV - 42.7 IBU

8 lb Maris Otter
1 lb 2oz Roasted Barley
1 lb Flaked Barley
12oz Carapils
2oz Black Patent

2.25oz Kent Golding 5% @ 60min

Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale

155º mash for 60 min, double batch sparge, 75 min boil, add soured Guinness at flameout

If you want a thinner beer with a lower FG, you could use a more attenuative ale yeast, and/or you can mash at a lower temperature.

Edit: or reduce/eliminate the carapils (adds body without flavor)

+1 on the above advice. Another option is to add up to 1# of cane sugar - it's anti-intuitive, but it works.

+1 on the above advice. Another option is to add up to 1# of cane sugar - it's anti-intuitive, but it works.

To really dry it out, you want to use the cane sugar IN PLACE OF some of the Marris Otter. Since the sugar with completely ferment out, and you use less base malt, you will have less unfermentable sugars, resulting in a lower FG.

155 degrees is really high, reducing to 148-150 would make a big difference.

If it were me I'd try dry Nottingham yeast -- it's very attenuative.

Back