How can I convert any recipe to a session beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dsh1109

Reaction score
I’m wondering if there are some general rules of thumb to convert any recipe to a session beer recipe. The reason I am asking is I cannot sip beer at all. I love to drink full mouthfuls and a beer might only last a few minutes. I’m the same way with coffee and any other beverage I enjoy. I noticed recently I inherited this from my father. I’d love to enjoy more than one beer since I drink them so quickly but I can’t really justify the calories as I have probably the slowest metabolism I know of and two beers of anything normal gravity will stick with me and also put me close to my limit. Also I’d love to safely let friends enjoy beers at my home and have them not worried to drive soon after which seems to happen frequently if a infrequent drinker has an 7-8% abv beer and wants to leave right after.

So with any recipe I might find besides something big and imperial, how might I cut the abv down to 4% or less and still make a great beer that’s somewhat close to the original?

A stout for example, I’m concerned with just cutting the base Malts to get the abv down as I think that would make the specialty Malts to powerful and I’m also concerned with just cutting every thing by the same percentage as that would seem like the same thing as watering the beer down. Any help would be appreciated, especially if there is different rules for different types of beer.

I’m wondering if there are some general rules of thumb to convert any recipe to a session beer recipe. The reason I am asking is I cannot sip beer at all. I love to drink full mouthfuls and a beer might only last a few minutes. I’m the same way with coffee and any other beverage I enjoy. I noticed recently I inherited this from my father. I’d love to enjoy more than one beer since I drink them so quickly but I can’t really justify the calories as I have probably the slowest metabolism I know of and two beers of anything normal gravity will stick with me and also put me close to my limit. Also I’d love to safely let friends enjoy beers at my home and have them not worried to drive soon after which seems to happen frequently if a infrequent drinker has an 7-8% abv beer and wants to leave right after.

So with any recipe I might find besides something big and imperial, how might I cut the abv down to 4% or less and still make a great beer that’s somewhat close to the original?

A stout for example, I’m concerned with just cutting the base Malts to get the abv down as I think that would make the specialty Malts to powerful and I’m also concerned with just cutting every thing by the same percentage as that would seem like the same thing as watering the beer down. Any help would be appreciated, especially if there is different rules for different types of beer.
I'd play around with a brewing calculator. You'll be essentially cutting the recipe in half, then making small adjustments to keep the colour and IBUs in line with the original.

If you're still nervous about watering the beer down there are adjuncts for that, but I'd try without those first. You may be pleasantly surprised.

I was in a similar place as you, l like to get a beer down pretty quickly. Most of my beers are now in the neighborhood of 4% and few can tell the difference.

I've never done either, which may explain why I'm not sure why watering down an imperial ale to something sessionable is actually different from dialing down the grist and hops to accomplish the same ends. But I do know some of the macros essentially do the former...

Cheers!

Like @mattech said, a brew calculator can help you scale down the ingredients.

You will probably have to manually adjust the hops. Instead of trying to keep the same IBUs, you’ll probably want to keep the BU:GU ratio the same (IBUs / OG). That will help you maintain the balance of bitterness to maltiness.

Also, when I do low ABV beers (sub-4.5%) I tend to mash low, about 147F and add 4oz to 8oz of Carapils. It’s basically the only time I use carapils anymore.

What I have done in the past have just decreased the base malt percentage until you achieve og you’re looking for. I have kept all other grains the same that way it would maintained flavor and body when turning it to a session. I have tried the logical plan of scaling it down proportionally but it never would have the body and the flavor of the original. Also don’t forget to scale your BU/GU for the original beer and then use same ratio for the session to keep the bitterness the same

Back