How can I calculate ppg from the "moisture and extract information sheet"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
So...I have just bought loads of malts from weyermann and each malt came with a detailed sheet regarding color, pH, etc...

Now.....it doesnt specify the ppg of the malts, but say "moisture and extract info"...and gives me 3 pieces of information:
-moisture content: 4.4%
-extract (air dry): 78%
-extract fine crush:81.5%

So...if I am not wrong, 100% sugar extraction mean 47 ppg. Does this mean that I should take the 81.5% of 47 and that gives me the ppg of my malt (in this case..it is "weyermann pale ale" malt)?

Or am I wrong on this equation?

I think it's more like 45 pts/lb/gal. for 100% sucrose. However, there's an efficiency for grains. 45 x 0.815 x 0.75 (75% efficiency, your system may differ) = 27.5.
For calculation purposes, I use 5.4 pts in 5 gallons (base malt) when drawing up a recipe. For crystal malts, 4 pts in 5 gallons. Or you can use proMash or brewer's friend or any other software.

I think it's more like 45 pts/lb/gal. for 100% sucrose. However, there's an efficiency for grains. 45 x 0.815 x 0.75 (75% efficiency, your system may differ) = 27.5.
For calculation purposes, I use 5.4 pts in 5 gallons (base malt) when drawing up a recipe. For crystal malts, 4 pts in 5 gallons. Or you can use proMash or brewer's friend or any other software.

good information, but this doesnt help me find out what the ppg is.

Extract is usually about 45 ppg so if you use 1 lb to 1 gal your OG is 1.045

If you use say 6 lbs then 6*45=270 total gravity points/ 5 gal batch= 1.054OG

There is no efficiency calculation because it's extract. AG brewers worry about efficiency

Sent from the Commune

Dissolve 1lb/gallon (or 0.5gal/.5 gal, etc.) and measure gravity. that will be your ppg

nevermind that is for LME/DME.

I understand those % you have are the percentage of 100% sucrose (46ppg)...so for the fine crush extract of 81.5%

46*0.815 = 37.5 ppg

That seems in line for pale malt/2row ppg

Extract is usually about 45 ppg so if you use 1 lb to 1 gal your OG is 1.045

If you use say 6 lbs then 6*45=270 total gravity points/ 5 gal batch= 1.054OG

There is no efficiency calculation because it's extract. AG brewers worry about efficiency

Sent from the Commune

WTF? He's talking about grain. :drunk:

OP, can you scan or photograph the malt analysis sheets and post them?

Your calc method based on fine grind is correct although I think 46 is the number for sucrose.

Worste case, you may have to perform your own congress mash. 1lb fine ground malt mashed in 1 gallon of water and measure the runnings. Hardest bit is separating the wort from the flour.

OP, can you scan or photograph the malt analysis sheets and post them?

Your calc method based on fine grind is correct although I think 46 is the number for sucrose.

Worste case, you may have to perform your own congress mash. 1lb fine ground malt mashed in 1 gallon of water and measure the runnings. Hardest bit is separating the wort from the flour.

Hey Gila

Sure, Here it is.
I still havent figured out how to calculate the exact ppg. I mean I know it will be something between 36 and 38, but I really wanna be more precise than be off 1 or 2 points.

Thanks.

pale ale malt2.jpg

Latest posts

Back