How big of a batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How big a batch do you brew?

• 5 Gal or less

• 5 Gal to 6.5 Gal

• 6.5 to 10 Gal

• 10-to 15 Gal

• 15 to 30 Gal

• 1 BBL or bigger

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don't know how all you 5gal people do it when its so much work for not much beer i do as much as i can fit in the boiler about 14gal

bradsul said:
6.5G (I do 25L batches) for me. I like variety too much to make large individual batches.
Same here. I'll do 10 gal batches if I'm brewing with someone else and we're splitting the beer.

I brew to end up with either 5 or 10 gallons by the time I keg. The size depends on the popularity of the brew. If it's an experiment - 5; if it's something I know I'm going to like - 10.

Five gallons is plenty of one kind and the weight is about right. I rarely brew the same style twice in a year, so I wouldn't want 10 gallons of it.

I brew 5 AG or 10 when I use extract, but I'm making a Keggle soon (already have the keg) so I'll start brewing 10 gallon AG batches also. Like RDWJ I will never brew more than 5 gallons of something that is an experiment.

If club brews count then we brew 150 gallons at a time in a massive mash and lauter tun, really very impressive the first time i saw that thing. my personal brewery can handle 11 gallon batchs.

Normally 15-20 gallons between myself and brewpal.
Occasionally a guy new to brewing will pop in so we like to let him take home
a carboy to watch over. When that happens we tend more towards 20- 24 gallons. Great if there are no mistakes.
rick

For me it takes the same amount of time and wrok to make 10 gallons as it does 5 and my system seems to work best with a 10 gallon batch. So if its a brew with an OG of 1.065 or less I will do 10 but if it's bigger then that then I lack room for the boil and do a 5 gallon.

I shoot for 11.5 gallons in the kettle. Works out to about 11 after fermentation and chilling and trub loss.

Back