How big is too big?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Balog

Reaction score
Planning on buying a new boil kettle, and I'm not sure what size to get.

Currently, I am limited to stovetop partial boil 5 gal extract batches. My immediate goal is simply to have a large enough pot to do full volume boils for 5 gal extract. In the near term, I am curious about both 10 gal batches and doing BIAB. Also debating between induction and propane as a future alternative to stove top.

Now, obviously if I want to do 10 gal BIAB (especially of high gravity styles) I will need at least a 60 qt pot, correct? However, my worry is that I'll get this giant 60 or 80 qt behemoth, and then it'll be a giant pain to use for the simple 5 gal extract stuff that I will be doing at least a few more times.

I'm debating future versatility compared to current ease of use. I don't want to get a piece of equipment that will force me into larger or more advanced stuff before I'm ready for it.

So, here's my thoughts. I think getting something large enough to meet the needs I know I will have now, and leaving the future possible expansion to be taken care of then would be a good idea. Would a 40 qt be large enough to easily do a 5 gal batch of BIAB, for a high gravity beer? Would a 60 qt be too big and ungainly to be practical on a stovetop?

I went from 5 to 15 to 25-gal vessels. It is only incremental additional time to brew double or triple the beer....and what's wrong with triple the beer!? :)
Even with my 25-gal electric pots, I can still do a 6.75-gal. boil, resulting in a FULL 5-gal cornie keg. There is no added complexity, only perhaps added cost (but not unreasonably so)...
If you are truly limited to stove-top, then 5-gal batches would be my personal limit (takes too long to boil significantly more)
But if you can get a turkey fryer-type burner, then, to my mind, a 10-gal pot will barely allow a 7.5-8gal boil, and you better be quick and mindful to prevent boil-overs. Why not a 15.5gal sanke keg? Now you can boil 12 gallons and get ~two 5gal cornie kegs full o' brew.
I've settled on 25-gal pots, enabling 18-gal boil, netting 15 gallons. My buddy went 55-gal, so he can do a full US barrel. We're both nerdy enough to want to design our own electric control panels...sometimes I think I like designing/building systems as much or more as brewing. My other brew-dude still does the turkey fryer, enjoys it just as much as I do, and makes darn good beer!

Get the 15 gallon pot. I recently upgraded to a 10 gallon for BIAB and I wish I had gone 15 gallon for the $20 more.

If you are serious about moving to 10 gallon batches sooner rather than later then get the 20 gallon.

You can always use your current set up for your extract batches you still want to do.

I suggest you find a used turkey fryer setup on CL or elsewhere for around $20.00. That will net you a SQ10 knockoff burner, and a 30 qt aluminum pot, quite the deal actually. I have been told by people I trust that Fermcap is the way to go to prevent boil overs in very full pots. I made a 1.085 beer and had 8.5 gallons gallons of wort to boil down, and I had to babysit the pot for the first 20 minutes to prevent major boil over, and after that all was well. Even though the SQ10 style burner is rated at "only" 50k BTU's, I couldn't run it wide open with a 3/4 full pot. YMMV

Well, that question was answered when I found a great deal on an 80qt pot. Now to see about getting a burner to go with it...

Latest posts

Back