How best to retrieve dryhop sock from full keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Without thinking too much about it I tossed my dry hops in a sack and dropped them into my keg 10 days ago. Flavor is right where I think it needs to be. I popped the keg top and the sack is in there somewhere...just not sure where.

My question is how best to get it out of the keg.

Unbaited hook and reel? I'm not sure I can hit that small of a target from the other side of the garage.

Remove the top, lay keg on its side and stick arm in when finished draining? Seems counter productive and a waste of deliciousness.

Long wire with bend on the end to hook the sack? Seems like a better idea than laying an open keg on its side.

Rig a jumper and push deliciousness into empty keg then perform option #2 with minimal loss of said deliciousness.

Do nothing and ride it out and note the way the flavor changes over time.

I can be pretty lazy so I'm leaning toward doing nothing but this keg has to keep until the middle of April when it will be served to family and friends.

Any opinions and ridicule are welcome. :fro:

If you don't want to do this:

Do nothing and ride it out and note the way the flavor changes over time.

Then this would be my next suggestion:

Rig a jumper and push deliciousness into empty keg then perform option #2 with minimal loss of said deliciousness.

In the future, if you tie a piece of fishing line to the hop sack when you drop her in there, the lid will still seal fine (assuming we are talking about a corny keg here) and it makes hop sack retrieval super easy.

Ask me how I know that..... :D

I'd leave it be. Next time use the string.

Is that hop bag weighted down with something (marbles, SS fittings) to keep it submerged? If so it will be on or near the bottom.

Don't forget to re-purge the headspace after you opened it.

Wash reacher, spray with starsan... stick it in there.

k2-_8f269d86-7c52-4bbf-bd91-b377d3f31a09.v2.jpg

How long is that keg really going to last anyway?

I'd use CO2 to push from Out to Out of a purged keg. Build a patch hose. I used to tie the hops to the stiing thing, quit that. Now just move to clean keg, Less chance of infection or oxidation and pretty easy.

I use a sanitized interior tube from an auto-syphon, the one that is L shaped to snag the bag and pull it out.

All good points and ideas.

Probably won't be an issue to leave it in there as most of the friends and family prefer swill like Mich. ultra and Miller 64. (We really need a vomit smiley as an option). It's a Zombie Dust clone so it would probably melt their faces off anyway. Not sure I would want to be responsible for that. Do you think there would be a lot of paperwork involved?

Thanks for the input.

I've used long bbq tongs and a long stainless steel spoon with much success. However, remember to dip them in starsan first. I've also just left the hops in to the very end without any problems.

I use unwaxed floss and tie the bag to my keg handle, I'd recommend it for next time.

Maybe just grab a coat hanger and bend it out?

Latest posts

Back