How best to measure OG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quyzi

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What is the best way to measure the OG? I always use a starter now and rather than decanting it I've just poured the whole thing in, so I presume I should measure before I do that. Should I measure it when all the floating flavor bits are still floating around, or wait for them to sink and then measure?

No harm either way, but what would probably be best practice is to extract a sample before pitching the yeast. If you do a full 5 gallon boil then just pull the sample then and let it sit until you are ready to measure (and once it cools some)

If its an extract or you are diluting it at the fermentor, then just pull the sample right before you pitch.

No harm in pulling the sample after you pitch, but you don't want to lose any yeast due to the sample (since you will toss out the sample you pull!)

I top off,stir like mad for 5 minutes,then take the hydrometer sample & pitch. No matter the style of brewing. I sanitize the hydrometer & tube first,since the OG sample goes back in. Never an infection from doing that.

Quyzi said:
So the hovering little chunks don't affect the reading a great deal then. Good to know :)

They don't affect the density at all. That would be like boats making lake water denser.

Density is ONLY affected by dissolved materials.

They don't affect the density at all. That would be like boats making lake water denser.

Density is ONLY affected by dissolved materials.

Well when you put it like that it makes me feel a little dumber :( Good point though. I'll take my readings from now on before I pitch the yeasties.

What is the best way to measure the OG? I always use a starter now and rather than decanting it I've just poured the whole thing in, so I presume I should measure before I do that. Should I measure it when all the floating flavor bits are still floating around, or wait for them to sink and then measure?

It may depend on how much starter beer you're adding to your batches, but I would be afraid of it impacting the flavor. That starter beer, although drinkable, is not very good tasting. Sort of like a very rough cider. Therefore I would decant before pitching.

That said, I top off until I get my OG where I want it ti be and do my OG test(s) before pitching the slurry.

Quyzi said:
Well when you put it like that it makes me feel a little dumber :( Good point though. I'll take my readings from now on before I pitch the yeasties.

Didn't mean to put anybody down, but I'll bet you never forget my point!

As long as we are learning, we are successful. When we stop learning (even if we also stop laughing at ourselves) we stop growing.

Didn't mean to put anybody down, but I'll bet you never forget my point!

As long as we are learning, we are successful. When we stop learning (even if we also stop laughing at ourselves) we stop growing.

Very true!

Decant so you only get the yeasties. :)

I've thought about this, but then I need to crash it in the fridge to let them settle down, and that takes time.

Very true!

I've thought about this, but then I need to crash it in the fridge to let them settle down, and that takes time.

I like following a schedule and steps. So I plan way in advance and start the starter 7+ days in advance to give me time to grow it, crash it, and bring it to proper temp before pitching.
I also never touch my primary prior to 3 weeks. No need to rush it.

Quyzi said:

Yes it takes time, but not that much. To me it is worth it. However, many have reported no ill effects from pitching the entire starter. Probably fine either way.

One reason not to pitch the entire thing is because you basically make a really poor beer when you make a starter (over pitching yeast, over oxygenating, poor temp control, etc.). Some of the worst practices when making beer are best when making a starter. Granted you are only pouring a little bit of crappy beer into your new wort so again, probably not that big of a deal.

Back