How bad off am I going to be - no lactose on hand for milk stout mid brew....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucketheadmn

Reaction score
So here I am brewing a Milk Stout tonight that I am planning to add cacao nibs to in a couple of weeks and add cold press to at bottling. I am doing 2.5 gallon BIAB with the following grain bill:

4 lb American - Pale Ale
0.38 lb German - Carafa III
0.38 lb United Kingdom - Pale Chocolate
0.13 lb United Kingdom - Extra Dark Crystal 120L

Hops are .4oz cluster at 60 and .25 cluster at 30.

This is a NB Milk stout recipe that also calls for 0.5 lbs of lactose at 60 minutes. Thought I had some on hand and with about 30 mins left in mash realize I do not and no stores open carry it, uh oh!!

I am going to substitute with 4oz of corn sugar after I noticed that Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout clone from BYO uses that with a somewhat similar grain bill. Figure this is better than tossing everything and picking more grain up.

Should I be ok here?

You'll be fine but it won't be a milk stout. Corn sugar isn't a sub for lactose, because lactose does not ferment. It leaves the beer with a higher final gravity and a bit of sweetness. The corn sugar will ferment out completely, leaving the beer drier. No big deal... just not at all the same. Lactose isn't really replaceable, so I would just omit it completely, not try to sub something else.

If you like, you can reserve some wort in a sanitized jar, and get lactose when the LHBS opens. Boil the wort literally for a minute, dissolve lactose, and blend that back into the beer while it's just starting out in primary.

Corn sugar will dry the beer out, rather than making it sweeter and thicker. You can always add your lactose after fermentation is complete (boil it in a cup of water and add before bottling or legging).

Corn sugar will dry the beer out, rather than making it sweeter and thicker. You can always add your lactose after fermentation is complete (boil it in a cup of water and add before bottling or legging).

I did this once. I completely forgot it and added it to the keg when I kegged it. You could add it in addition to your priming sugar when you bottle if that is how you package.

Well drying it out might actually be a win in the end since wife is not a huge of milk stouts. This is a good learning experience on a couple of fronts:
  1. did now know that corn sugar will dry the beer out
  2. double and triple check ingredients!

I will taste it when fermentation is done and consider adding lactose with my bottling sugar since this is a batch I will bottle.

IMO, using corn sugar is not only going to be different, it is completely antithetical to what you set out to brew.

IMO, using corn sugar is not only going to be different, it is completely antithetical to what you set out to brew.

It sure is - I tasted it the other night after the cacao nibs sat for a few days and is dry and crisp compared to the original milky smooth i was going for. Tasted pretty dang good though. Letting is sit another week and then will bottle condition for a month or so.

It sure is - I tasted it the other night after the cacao nibs sat for a few days and is dry and crisp compared to the original milky smooth i was going for. Tasted pretty dang good though. Letting is sit another week and then will bottle condition for a month or so.

This seems like a great solution. Now get yourself some lactose and brew the batch you intended to brew. It will give you a great comparison and a whole new batch to drink. :mug:

Latest posts

Back