How are propane tanks shipped?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kassad

Reaction score
Strange question, but I am getting ready to purchase a 20 lb new propane tank online (amazon, home depot, or some other place) and while I can tell it will ship empty, i would also like to know if the tank ships with the valves removed. Believe it or not this is important. So do most brand new tanks ordered online ship with valves removed?

Strange question, but I am getting ready to purchase a 20 lb new propane tank online (amazon, home depot, or some other place) and while I can tell it will ship empty, i would also like to know if the tank ships with the valves removed. Believe it or not this is important. So do most brand new tanks ordered online ship with valves removed?

I don't believe so. None of the 20lb ones for sale in the local hardware stores are sold with the valves off, and I guarantee that places like Home Depot etc. wouldn't assemble and purge entire pallets of them before putting them out for sale.

They should ship purged with nitrogen or similar, ready for filling. But of course, it's best to ask.

Because there may be no local place to buy the tanks. Free shipping can be had on Amazon so no gas is expended reducing the cost of the tanks.

No local places to a buy a tank? Filling from their own big tank then? Looks like pricing online is more than any local place.

I live outside the U.S. and it is difficult to find them here.

You may run into issues with an online purchased tank if you live outside the US. For example, the threading on the valve outlet is completely different between the US and UK on both inert and fuel gas cylinders. If you purchase online, make 100% sure that you are getting something that is compatible with local standards or your local gas distributor may refuse to fill it. If you have a US manufactured regulator and/or hoses, they likely won't fit a foreign tank.

Latest posts

Back