How an Irish red turned into a spiced habanero ale, will it be drinkable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2ShortHairs

Reaction score
For Christmas I gave my brother an Irish red kit (partial mash) that I put together to brew with him in the future. We finally got around to brewing yesterday but had a little misfortune mid way through our mash. we were using a candy thermometer, the glass type, with it tied to my handle of the pot, hanging into the wort. My brother being the overzealous stirrer that he is, clipped the thermometer with the metal spoon and broke the outer glass. The inner glass which actually tells the temp remained intact, but we now had broken glass in our wort. Not good.

We tossed the grain and wort, cleaned the pot and started over. But what to brew now? We had no grain, just a bunch of extract and whatever was in my pantry/fridge. The search was on, I found a bag of frozen assorted peppers from my garden last summer. I pulled two habaneros and two jalapenos, and roasted them in the oven for a few minutes after removing the seeds. My brother finds some cinnamon sticks and light brown sugar. I have a small bag of mystery hops left over from a previous brew, about .5oz, we decide to use them. I also have a large bag of dextrose I use for bottling, so lets charge it up!
This is the recipe that we came up with.

5# Briess DME
3.3# CBW Munich LME
9oz light brown sugar
8oz dextrose

60 min. 1oz Fuggle
.25oz mystery
30 min. 1oz Fuggle
.25oz mystery
5 min. 5oz honey
3 min. 1oz EKG
1 cinnamon stick (crushed)
2 Habanero peppers (roasted)
2 Jalapeno peppers (roasted)
Wyeast 1272 American II

I was really surprised with the aroma of the peppers cinnamon and EKG when put together in a bowl and a sample of the wort just before putting into the primary was not too bad, sweet wort with a little heat. Has anyone ever brewed something similar? Any feedback would be nice.

Latest posts

Back