How Accurate are the Stick-On Fermenter Thermometers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the stick-ons on my fermenters. I really just use them as a "ball-park" measure to make sure I'm in the right area. I know they are not as accurate as a floating thermometer...I don't think they are meant to be uber-precise.

I also stick a submersable (-sp?) digital thermometer in the water of my swamp-cooler to get a better idea of where things are fermenting. I know the actual wort is a bit warmer due to the process of fermentation but it is close enough to be certain I'm not getting any wild temp swings.

My wife hates them because I'll call her from work sometime to check the temps for me (yes, I'm THAT obsessed) and she'll say something like "I can't tell what the temp is because three of the boxes are showing color! It says 64, 66, and a little of 68..." Really I'm just checking to see how much the temp has varied when the sun goes down so I can tell her whether to add a frozen 2-liter (for example). All I really need to know is that it hasn't shot up to 74*F during the most active phase of fermentation.

Hope that helps.

-Tripod

Yes, thanks, I've just begin using the stick-ons and was wondering the same thing.

I didn't peel off the backing, but just taped the ends onto to the carboys, so that I could take them off when I clean the carboys - does that make sense? Any other advice about using these?

I kind of always assumed they weren't accurate. I've had several people here tell me otherwise. I do have one on a carboy that was given to me. My thought was that since glass and plastic are insulators, they wouldn't be accurate. Now that I think about it, 5 gallons of liquid won't change temperature rapidly. The biggest change is probably during active fermentation. It stands to reason that the vessel you are fermenting in will equalize at the same temperature as what its holding, making the thermometer accurate.

+1 with all answers.
I don't care about empirical accuracy, only relative accuracy:
when the temperature drops 4 degrees, fermentation is winding down.

Back