How about, 1-1-1?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean from New Hampshire

Reaction score
I recently brewed an all grain stout. It fermented for 5 days and was only a couple points from final gravity. I then racked into secondary.

Can I clear at 50 degrees for 1 week, then bottle and age for 1 week, so I can bring the stout on vacation? Anyone else do this before?

Sean From NH

You will be doing your Stout a serious disservice. You could do this, but I don't think the results will be all that great.

You can do whatever you want, but 1-1-1 is going to result in a green, undercarbonated beer. In particular, you should let stouts and other full flavored styles age for 4-6 weeks (minimum) after bottling to let the flavors meld and mellow.

If you want to drink green, flat beer, then only bottle condition for one week. Other than that, probably not a good idea. Also the short times fermenting can lead to eventual bottle bombs mid-vacation. Also something you probably don't want.

If 1-1-1 worked, why would there be a need for a 1-2-3 method? Do your self a favor and buy some good micro-brewed beer and take that on vacation. I've drank a lot a beer that wasn't ready, it isn't worth it.

Thanks guys! I guess I'll be drinking local craft on vacation!

Sean From NH

OH PS - Forgot to add, I should probably bump it back up to 70 for the next 2 weeks eh?

I see you've accepted the guru's wise advice, showing a little wisdom of your own by doing so! ;) I'll add a little experience of mine to the discussion. I just brewed a low alc. Oatmeal Stout a couple of weeks ago. A good example of just how much change occurs to the bier through the fermentation process was seen when I tasted the bier at day 5 when airlock bubbles had stopped. The gravity was 1.015, not quite done, and the flavor was unbelievable! I mean totally awesome coffee and roasted flavors. Move forward 3 days later when I racked to secondary the same bier tasted terrible. All kinds of odd flavors etc. Well I'm not worried, it's not infected, but it had reached it's FG 1.012. The bier was just at a yucky stage in the ferm process, just finishing up and not having enough time to clean up after itself. When it's been in bottles for 6 weeks this is going to be a really amazing bier. I'm sure it'll be drinkable at 3 weeks in bottle following the 1-2-3 rule, but it'll be just about perfect a month later. This hobby rewards the patient!

A great experiment is to set aside a 6 pack of this bier in a different room of the house, somewhere you'll forget about if till you see the bier in a few months. Then taste a couple at 6 months, wait another 6 months and try 2 more. I've only been brewing for 7 months, but my second bier, a Scottish Export, has changed so much in 5 months that I wish I had saved half the batch instead of being now stuck with 2 meager bottles. While it's too peaty to be to style, it's better than some Scotch whiskey I've had!

My advice, which I'm finally following. "Brew more than you can drink."

Schlante,
Phillip

Sean From NH

OH PS - Forgot to add, I should probably bump it back up to 70 for the next 2 weeks eh?

That's where opinions can split, but personally if the yeast has fully attenuated and you have allowed sufficient time for carbonating then just leave it in the cooler temp. My methodology is after fermentation, if I am bottling or prime carbing a keg, I leave it at ferment temp for ~10 days to carbonate. Then it goes into the basement for aging. You can accelerate the aging process with warmer temperatures, but tbh I prefer to play it safe and do it cooler. Now where you can run into issues is if you don't get it fully carbonated before cooling it.

Sean From NH

That's the best thing to do on top of not having to lug around HB bottles with you on vacation.

Drink and eat with the locals!

5 days is never long enough in primary.
there's no way you had 3 days in a row of consistent gravity readings...so right there you're ignoring rule 1: patience. You've racked early, so any off flavors the yeast could have cleaned up are now going to linger for a very long time.

No great beer is rushed. Just look at Budweiser!

How bout a 1-1-3 for a northern brown ale? My Hydrmeter said 1.010 for 3 days then went to secondary and i have a great opprotunity to bottle on wednesday. That will make 8 days in Secondary. Beer is nice and clear and has a decent taste.

How bout a 1-1-3 for a northern brown ale? My Hydrmeter said 1.010 for 3 days then went to secondary and i have a great opprotunity to bottle on wednesday. That will make 8 days in Secondary. Beer is nice and clear and has a decent taste.

If it's clear enough for you and it's reached terminal gravity then I don't see a problem going ahead and bottling it now.

Wow a big thanks for all the responses! I'm really working of The Joy of Homebrewing, so I thought it was cool to rack after reaching near Final Gravity. On advice of all who know better than me, I will let it sit for as long as I can stand, and bottle for a good month! I do not want my first real batch to fail, thank you all!

Sean From NH

Back