houston water profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mageac

Reaction score
would anybody happen to know a detailed water profile for houston texas? ive tried to contact the water board to no avail. wasnt even on beersmith.

I heard Palmer in an interview talking about water and he specifically mentioned Houston as having very alkaline water. You'll definately want to buffer that. If you can't get any specifics, I would dilute your water 50% w/ distilled or RO, and then use some 5.2 pH buffer for brewing AG. If you're doing extract, diluting alone would probably be OK.

The Pearland water report will work as it is Houston water supply. You can download it from the city website. The are minor differences in the DBPs but not significant. Lots of Chloride lots of sulfur off tastes. Go Oilers and use other water for your brews. We tried the tap water once and have used my RO since with remineralization. You'll be glad.

Pearland, TX

Calcium(Ca): 22.1 ppm
Magnesium(Mg): 4.6 ppm
Sodium(Na): 139.0 ppm
Sulfate(SO4): 4.0 ppm
Chloride (Cl): 75.0 ppm
Bicarbonate(HCO3): 345.0 ppm
PH: 7.9 PH

I know this is late, but I thought I'd add what I know if someone is wondering about it later...

League City, TX from the 2009 Quality Report

Bicarbonate 195 ppm
Calcium 42.1 ppm
Chloride 100 ppm
Copper 0.007 ppm
Hardness as Ca/Mg 134 ppm
Iron 0.026 ppm
Magnesium 8.2 ppm
Mangenese 0.0044 ppm
Nickel 0.001 ppm
pH 7.5
Sodium 85 ppm
Sulfate 41 ppm
Total Alkalinity as CaCO3 160 ppm
Total Dissolved Solids 399 ppm
Total Hardness as CaCO3 138 ppm
Zinc 0.065 ppm

I believe LC supplements their water supply with Houston's.

Where could I find a 5.2 pH buffer as mentioned above? I pick up ingredients at DeFalco's and they're always pushing some packets of water conditioner / bruvigor type stuff; the 2 beers i used that stuff in came out with a jacked up flavor profile. Thoughts? Experiences with DeFalco's packets?
FWIW I'm in west Houston's Westchase District.

I heard Palmer in an interview talking about water and he specifically mentioned Houston as having very alkaline water. You'll definately want to buffer that. If you can't get any specifics, I would dilute your water 50% w/ distilled or RO, and then use some 5.2 pH buffer for brewing AG. If you're doing extract, diluting alone would probably be OK.

Alkalinity (bicarbonate) is a buffer. You cannot buffer alkalinity with 5.2 Stabilizer. You have to neutralize alkalinity with an acid or dilution with low alkalinity water (like RO or distilled mentioned above).

5.2 Stabilizer has been show by multiple brewers to not work as advertised. All it does is add sodium to your water. That's not very good for beer flavor.

DeFalco's is a good shop. They will have the acids that you'll need to properly treat excessive alkalinity. They even support Bru'n Water!

At $1 per gallon, bottled spring water is a cheap aolution. I've used 50% bottled for my mash/boil/top up water but have never done a side by side comparison to tell if taste is truly affected by my Houston tap water.

Just though I'd add that the 2011 League City water quality report came in the mail last week. The water has really improved over the last report! Posted some pics of the more important tables.

image-1016410697.jpg

image-3629119023.jpg

Back