Houston Keg fill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agdoc04

Reaction score
Had my first keg fill today. New 15 lb cylinder (thanks kegconnection). Took forever to find a place that would fill. Airgas said they only do "bulk fills" and would not fill it until sometime next week and that it would have to "sit" for 3 days since it was food grade gas. Found a place in South Houston that would fill on the spot. Took 2 minutes. Price was under 15 dollars.

I put it in the car and drove to work. When I got back to the car that evening I got in and about one block into the drive felt like I was suffocating. I rolled down the windows and when I got home I could hear the slightest hiss coming from the fill valve. Leak test with Starsan looked like a bubblegum bubble. After scouring HBT, I decided to chance it by tightening the valve with my pliers. Seems to have worked.

First kegging was otherwise uneventful. I'm doing a 24 hour force carb, and then will lower it down for th enext 5 days or so and see how it does.

Moral of the story:
1. Even on a cold day, crack a window if CO2 is in the car. I put myself in a low oxygen environment and felt it.
2. Cheap fills in South Houston.

Back