Houston BJCP course

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dunno where you are at, but we are looking at getting a course going on the north side of town. Let me know if you would be interested

Our club, Brewers of the Hood, is Based out of Farmboy Brewshop at 3814 N Shepherd Dr Houston, TX 77018.

We are trying to gauge interest in such a course now, but need to get enough people together to make the per-person cost reasonable, and work out the logistics of when. Landon, the owner of Farmboy, has a sign-up sheet at the shop for people interested in the class, to get in the loop as we look to move forward.

I think there's been some talk about this among some in our club as well (Barley Coherent out of BIY in Spring). Our monthly meeting is coming up so I'll see if there's any interest in joining in.

I am all signed up to take the class below and asked if I could share the information. This class is at DeFalco's.

Thank you for your interest in the BJCP Judging Class. The goal of the class is to teach judging skills useful in passing the BJCP Judging Exam. This class does NOT cover any material regarding the BJCP Online Entrance Exam. At the end of the class you will have been exposed to a very broad range of beer styles, off-flavors and given instruction (as well as experience with) filling out the BJCP Beer Scoresheet.

Class schedule:
6/26/16 Session 1 - Intro, How to Judge - Category 10 (German Wheat Beer)
7/10/16 Session 2 - Off Flavors - Categories 1,2,3 and 8 (Standard American Beer, International Lager, Czech Lager, Dark European Lager)
7/17/16 Session 3 - Categories 4,5,6,7 and 9 (Pale Malty European Lager, Pale Bitter European Lager, Amber Malty European Lager, Amber Bitter European Lager and Strong European Beer)
7/31/16 Session 4 - Categories 11,12,14 and 17 (British Bitter, Pale Commonwealth Beer, Scottish Ale and Strong British Ale)
8/14/16 Session 5 - Categories 13, 15, 16 and 20 (Brown British Beer, Irish Beer, Dark British Beer and American Porter and Stout)
8/28/16 Session 6 - Categories 18, 19, 21, 22 (Pale American Ale, Amber and Brown American Ale, IPA, Strong American Ale)
9/11/16 Session 7 - Categories 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 (Historical Beer, American Wild Ale, Fruit Beer, Spiced Beer, Alternative Fermentables, Smoked Beer, Wood Beer)
9/18/16 Session 8 - Categories 23, 24, 25 and 26 (European Sour Ale, Belgian Ale, Strong Belgian Ale, Trappist Ale)

The Houston Fall 2016 BJCP Judging Exam will be held on September 25th, 2016 at 4:15 p.m. at DeFalco’s Home Wine & Beer Supply, 9223 Stella Link, Houston, Texas.
I need to know if you want to be on that list as well (assuming you’re not already!)

If you no longer want to attend, please let me know, or you will continue to get these e-mails!
Please contact me if you have any questions or concerns!

-BDB²

Bev D. Blackwood II

P.S. My regular e-mail is [email protected] please add it to your “allowed” list as I sometimes get filtered by ISP’s. (It’s what happens when you own a domain for going on 20 years…)

Back