House of the Dragon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Watched the first episode. Based on the Targaryen family, this is 172 years before Daenerys is born. I loved it. Here's why:
  • Production quality. They got the look of the cities right, they got the small medieval qualities right. Looked great.
  • Acting. These are serious actors. They take the roles seriously. There's no fooling around here.
  • Sex, Violence. Check.
  • Political intrigue. There is some, but you can see that the seeds are being planted. Much more to come.
  • Daenerys. She's back, junior form. With more dragons.
  • Music: I swear the ending song sounded extremely similar to the GOT theme.
and, finally,
  • The war with white-walkers. It's prophesied. You'll see. I love the tie-in with the GOT series.
1661313379528.png

Let's just hope Dani jr won't become an insufferable megalomanic c**t aswell...
But it seems promising, I really recognize the guys playing the king and his brother, but can for the life of me not remember from what shows.

the King is Paddy Considine, been in a TON of shows & films.

biggest one recently I've watched was Peaky Fookin' Blinders

Glad to see a good review. Read all the GOT books that existed and watched all of the series. Overall loved it. Was slightly skeptical of the new series here but I guess I'll need to watch it sooner than later.

Things may alter, but what I really liked was the lack of 20 or more plot lines going in 100 different directions. Should make it easier to follow in future episodes.

Things may alter, but what I really liked was the lack of 20 or more plot lines going in 100 different directions. Should make it easier to follow in future episodes.

Exactly! GOT needed to introduce all of those families, with all of their members, dead members, etc. HOD is just focusing on one family.

However, it sure seems to me that with this new show they are trying hard to follow the GOT recipe, so I would not be surprised at all if further complexity is introduced.

Watched the first episode. Based on the Targaryen family, this is 172 years before Daenerys is born. I loved it. Here's why:
  • Production quality. They got the look of the cities right, they got the small medieval qualities right. Looked great.
  • Acting. These are serious actors. They take the roles seriously. There's no fooling around here.
  • Sex, Violence. Check.
  • Political intrigue. There is some, but you can see that the seeds are being planted. Much more to come.
  • Daenerys. She's back, junior form. With more dragons.
  • Music: I swear the ending song sounded extremely similar to the GOT theme.
and, finally,
  • The war with white-walkers. It's prophesied. You'll see. I love the tie-in with the GOT series.
View attachment 778670
We started it last night until the wife wanted to go to bed right after the “cleaning up” of the city

I'm waiting until the whole season is out because I don't have the patience for weekly episodes. But I'm glad people seem to like it.

On a related note, somewhere on my very long list of future beer names is "T!ts & Dr@gons", along with ....

I'm Drunk & I Know Things
It Is Known
Of The Blackwater
One More Drink Before The War
Landing Bells
Blackwater Surprise
Heroes of the Blackwater
Bronn's Good Brown Ale

(My future beer name list is like 700+ entries)

Last edited:
So far, I'd give it a B.

I do like watching it. In fact, tonight's episode was an "oh ****" ending. Still, it does not have the incredible breadth of GOT. For anyone who attempted to read the books, the breadth might not have been a good thing.

Anyway, good characters, excellent acting, great production design, must-watch for fantasy fans.

having all the attention on one House is quite a bit different than GoT, it's definitely easier to tell the players without a scorecard (recognize the character, but sometimes get names mixed up. like Rhaenys & Rhaenyra)

we do have to say goodbye to Millie Alcock & Emily Carey, this being their final episode

"next time on" indicates a time jump; their characters grow up quite a bit & become Emma D'Arcy & Olivia Cooke

Last edited:
WTF is happening to hollywood? Dune gets split into part 1 and part 2, and there are YEARS in between! (same for the hobbit, which was a skimpy book that got split into 3 movies years apart).

one would have expected HOTD Season 2 in 2023. Nope.

Anyway, the point of this mini tirade is that the 2nd season will start June 16 on HBO. 8 episodes. Which means I'll wait till August, binge the first season again, then binge the 2nd.

Back