Hot-Side Tubing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwest

Reaction score
What do folks use for hi-temp tubing? Norprene? Braided PVC?

I have some braided PVC but I'm worried (for no rational reason, just a hunch) that at high temperatures it will lend a plastic flavor to my wort. Can anyone confirm or deny that before I bite the bullet and spend hard-earned cash on Norprene?

Thanks!

I use silicone tubing. It can withstand temperatures way above the range you would ever be using for brewing.

I have used braided PVC tubing before and it worked GREAT!!!! UNTILL..... When I hit 170degrees F it got REALLY soft. I had to sinch down hose clamps and I got realllllllly nervous. I spent $25 on it. I threw it all away the next day. I went down to fluid connectors in salem and found some silicone tubing/hose for $30!!! It is rated up to 350 degrees F but only 20-30psi. Just using a wimpy little magneticly coupled high temp food grade pump, AKA march pump, so psi isn't an issue. Love that stuff. I recently converted to mostly Stainless Steel but I still have some silicone tubing on my system. Diddn't want my pump to be attached to anything else that wasn't super flexable. Pump was $125.00+S&H so between the SS and my pump is good old reliable(and sexy) silicone tubing!!! Hope this helps. Oh, that beer with the PVC braided tubing diddn't taste like plastic. Eiter that or it did, had alot of chemicals in it and made me forget that it was there. Either way it is still drinkable, yet endangered!!! 2 bottles left!!!

Back