Hot Break Help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewingbro12

Reaction score
So I'm fairly new at brewing myself but I've noticed hot breaks can be a pain in the ass and i'm not sure if this is a common thing to do but a friend of mine bought a couple spray bottles and filled them with spring water and when the hot break time came spraying it a tiny bit controlled the foam quite well.

I've done it on nearly all my batches and i've only boiled over once and i use a 24 quart pot, the only reason that one boiled over was because i was reading when it happened and i wasn't paying attention.

Give it a try, you might like it.

That works - so does vigorous stirring or turning down the heat at just the right moment. Best advice is - Don't turn you back on the pot for even a second until after it has reached a boil.

Fermcap (or equivalent) is also the sh*t for taming boiling wort. I use it in every batch now. I only have a 3.5 gallon pot and it gets prettty close to the top!

I don't want it in my beer so why spray it down? I have a skimmer and spend a few minutes removing it from the kettle.

I've read it on here before, so that's where I got the idea, but if you put a fan on the pot, it won't boil over either. I use a simple clip-on desk fan I've had for ages, clip it on about 3 feet away, and I angle it so only part of the wind flow blows on the pot (want to keep a good boil). I turn it on and walk away from the pot. I just have a timer for hop additions. Haven't had any boil overs with the fan on.

Back