Hot Bath

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skot_88

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I've had a 1 gallon demi-john of mead on the go for about two months now. I used about 3,527 lbs of honey, a table-spoon of yeast nutrient, a tea-spoon of dried active yeast, have racked it twice and it seems to be clearing nicely and tastes pretty good.

However, recently the temperature in my house has dropped dramatically due to our late winter weather. Naturally the rate of fermentation has dropped with time and I guess the drop in temperature. So in a bold move I decided to try putting the demi-john in a tub of warm water and see what happened...

From a very slow bubble rate the airlock went crazy and picked back up to about a bubble every 20 to 30 seconds! I have since removed it from its bath, dried it off and returned it back to its rightful place in my dark boiler cupboard and the bubble rate has dropped to around a bubble per minute.

Has my experimenting potentially scuppered my Mead!? Or do you think I may have helped to jolt the fermentation to eek out the remanants of some dormant yeast?

You didn't screw anything up. Just grab a big sleeping bag and wrap aroun it tight. The yeast put off a little heat so it will actually hold the warmth well. That should get you back up closer to 70 something

Phew... Great, many thanks, I've wrapped it up in a blanket for now as I don't have any sleeping bags to spare. Will leave it to simmer down over the weekend and see how it shapes up!

Latest posts

Back