hose issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tameape44

Reaction score
I need to bottle my first brew and my dog chewed through the siphon hose i need for bottling. I have another hose but it is being used as a blow off hose for a different brew I just started about a day and a half ago. That brew is fermenting pretty actively right now and I was wondering if it would be detrimental for me to pull that hose out and replace it with an air lock during this stage of fermenting? I don't know if letting the built up gas out/possibly letting outside air in is a bad idea since it's so early. Thanks.

If the activity has not increased lately then you should be OK to put an airlock on the fermentor. The CO2 is heavier than air so any pressure (which should be very minimal) will be release but the remaining CO2 will protect the fermenting beer!

Is the krausen/foam getting close to the top of the fermentor? If not then you don't need the blow off tube anyway!

Latest posts

Back