hose clamps in cooler mash tun not stainless

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olatheks

Reaction score
I just realized a couple days after brewing a wheat beer for the dirt time in a cooler mash tun that the hose clamps I used weren't stainless. They are now rusted. Did I just ruin this batch of beer? I'm more worried about lead than off flavors.

Thanks

I doubt very much that your beer is ruined, or that it is contaminated w/ lead. FWIW, I like using nylon zip ties for attaching a braid.

The hose clamps may be stainless, just not a very high grade stainless.

Home Depot has stainless hose clamps. I have them in my tun, and after many brews they still look brand new..

Home Depot has stainless hose clamps. I have them in my tun, and after many brews they still look brand new..

Look close at the home depot ones, only the band is stainless the screw is zinc plated. I have only been able to find ones that are stamped "all stainless" at good hardware stores and plumbing supply stores.

I guess my HD is different, because mine are indeed all stainless. At least 20 batches with my new set-up, snd no signs of rust. I also know you can find the all stainless ones at most boat shops. Along with a lot of other great stainless hardware and fittings sometimes...

I just realized a couple days after brewing a wheat beer for the dirt time in a cooler mash tun that the hose clamps I used weren't stainless. They are now rusted. Did I just ruin this batch of beer? I'm more worried about lead than off flavors.

Thanks
Not the dirt time! That is the most important time! J/k I just use zip ties works great.

Latest posts

Back