Hornindal slow start?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lalh20

Reaction score
I have read so many posts about hornindal taking off nearly instantly once pitched but today I tried my first run with it and I'm worried I have a problem. I brewed a cream ale with 1.048 sg and pitched at 90 directly from the omega yeast pouch and now 7 hours later still see no activity. Are my expectations too high or do I possibly have dead yeast?

When I ordered it I thought it was dry yeast given some of the articles about harvesting and drying it. When the pouch came as a liquid I thought "crap, I should have added the ice pack". Is it possible that summer Temps killed my yeast in transit? The yeast was manufactured in May.

Last edited:
Give it more time. 7 hours is pretty fast if the yeast weren't in the best shape. I've had some kveik take 24+ hours to start.

Kveik (and kveik isolates, which is what you have) can be dried. However, most commercial selections come in liquid form. Not having an ice pack is less than ideal. But if any survived you might still be alright since kveik tends to do well when severely underpitched.

give it a day, i repitch nottingham at 85f...sometimes it'll take off before i'm done cleaning, other times, not till the next day....if you're single, wrap the fermenter in a blanket and set by your bed, it'll probably wake you up with a kiss. (or burp, depends on how you look at it)

Update! It has taken off and is starting to form a krausen at the top. At his point it seems to be going about the same pace of other yeasts but I'm excited to check in another day or so. I'm guessing it was under pitched due to not ideal conditions for the yeast in transit.

After all the other posts I was convinced something must be wrong if it hadn't gone crazy in a few hours considering others reported crazy activity in less than an hour.

I'll report back!

Glad to hear! I suspect that for every post about kveik taking off in minutes or some crazy short time there are at least 2 people behind the keyboard wondering why there getting a more typical lag time. I've been there.

I've heard that repitching will trend to those shorter lag times, but haven't tested that myself. I try to just check back after a reasonable lag time. Better for my anxiety.

I have had mixed result with Omega. I had a pack of Voss not give orange esters at high temps, like it was accidentally Hothead or something. Very neutral, but it did rip through the wort. Another time I bought their Hornindal from a store and it was dead. The Yeast Bay and Imperial have been better for me.

Back