Hopshot hop extract question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khillian

Reaction score
Hey,

I brewed up my Heady Topper clone yesterday which used 10ml (2) hop shots from Northern Brewer. The Conan yeast is working magic right now 24 hours into pitching, but I noticed those black dots on the side of the carboy, which was also on the kettle. I tasted them on the kettle last night and it was bitter, so I assume this is un dissolved hop shot? Has anyone seen or heard of this?

Cheers

484705_836163714600_1926201942_n.jpg

I brewed this weekend with a hop shot and boiled the extract for 60 minutes. The same black dots appeared while chilling. Was your beer lacking in bitterness.

Interesting. I've never used hopshot but I am curious about why this would be.

Looks like a protein/hop oil mix if i had to guess, burnt oil resin has that same dark texture to it.

When did you add the shot?
Ive heard any first hop addition is best 5-10 minutes after the boil starts to avoid coagulating in the hot break.

Looks like a protein/hop oil mix if i had to guess, burnt oil resin has that same dark texture to it.

When did you add the shot?
Ive heard any first hop addition is best 5-10 minutes after the boil starts to avoid coagulating in the hot break.

Interesting. I did a 90 minute boil and then added the extract at 60 minutes.

The beer came out fine and was mega hoppy. I also added the (2) 5ml hop shots for the whole 90 minute boil.

I also had those black dots when I used Hop Jizz (same thing as Hopshot). No idea what it was but didn't effect the beer at all

Back