Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Csuho

Reaction score
What is everyone's opinion on purchasing hops from shops. Do they have to be packed in Mylar bags? Or if they were a little cheaper would you buy them if they were packed in food saver style bags? As when most of all of us buy hops in bulk they go from a Mylar bag to either a food saver style bag (as this is the vacuum style sealer most all homebrewers have) or mason jars.

I wouldn't buy bags which are not packed in mylar with an oxygen barrier and which haven't been kept in a fridge or freezer.

I keep mine in a freezer in a regular plastic vacuum-bag, but that's in my end. I want good hops when I buy them.

As long as when I buy them they're vacuum sealed and in a freezer I'm good. After I open the bag I try to squeeze out all air as I seal it back up. I def don't get all the oxygen out but since I use them up quickly I've never noticed any issues.

My lhbs gets their hops and repackages them. They may co2 flush but I don't know. I have been buying from online sources for that vacuum sealed goodness

Good points so far just in the process of opening a small shop and wanted to offer hops but I don't want to spend the big $$ on a chamber sealer just yet and would offer a 4oz pack or 1# of co2 flushed and vacuum sealed hops frozen for a good price and once money starts flowing in make that large purchase for the chamber sealer.

Back