Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whenwood

Reaction score
I'm new to all grain and I'm kinda going out on a limb and trying new things so I put together a little recipe and I wasn't sure about the hops what do u guys think ?

American IPA
23 L all grain
154 degree 60 min rest
60 min boil

11 lbs 2 row
2 lbs 6 row
1 lbs caramel 40L

Simcoe 1 oz @ 60 min
Simcoe 1 oz @ 20 min
Citra 2 oz @ 5 min
Citra 1 oz @ 7 days dry hop

I'm new to all grain and I'm kinda going out on a limb and trying new things so I put together a little recipe and I wasn't sure about the hops what do u guys think ?

American IPA
23 L all grain
154 degree 60 min rest
60 min boil

11 lbs 2 row
2 lbs 6 row
1 lbs caramel 40L

Simcoe 1 oz @ 60 min
Simcoe 1 oz @ 20 min
Citra 2 oz @ 5 min
Citra 1 oz @ 7 days dry hop

Should be tasty. Doesn't look like a huge hop-bomb, but that isn't a bad thing, and you are avoiding a common rookie mistake for all grain of making things too complicated/fancy.

If I had any changes to suggest at all, you could maybe swap teh dry hop and 5min amounts, I find I don't get much aroma from just 1oz in dry hop, but really I think what you have looks fine. I tend to like tons of hops, so you could add 2oz anywhere between 0-20 mins and I would like it.

Looks good! Did you have anything in mind with the 6-row? I don't think you'll notice any difference if you just use all 2-row.

Thanks guys ! Um I just thought to use 6 row to keep the grain bill down I thought it would contain more fermentables I don't know if it makes much difference ? Thanks again !!

6 row has more diastatic power than 2 row, has more protein, and tastes a bit grainier than 2 row. It is usually used to help convert adjuncts since the extra diastatic power helps out for this use. As far as I know 6 row actually has less fermentables since it is lower in carbohydrates than 2 row, but I doubt it is a huge difference. Personally I would go all 2 row since I don't see you getting a big flavor difference from the 6 row and there is no need for the extra diastatic power since you have no adjuncts. It will also save a little $ since 6 row is more expensive.

I would agree with the suggestion to cut out the 6-Row as it really won't be much of a benefit in this recipe. Regarding your hops, I personally don't care for Simcoe for my bittering charge as I find that it often results in a catty (pee) flavor. I would suggest swapping your 60 min for a cleaners high alpha hop like Columbus or Warrior. You could then add the 1 oz Simcoe to your dry hop as I would also suggest bumping that up from the 1 oz you currently have.

Either way, you will make a tasty beer...good luck!

kingmatt said:
I would agree with the suggestion to cut out the 6-Row as it really won't be much of a benefit in this recipe. Regarding your hops, I personally don't care for Simcoe for my bittering charge as I find that it often results in a catty (pee) flavor. I would suggest swapping your 60 min for a cleaners high alpha hop like Columbus or Warrior. You could then add the 1 oz Simcoe to your dry hop as I would also suggest bumping that up from the 1 oz you currently have. Either way, you will make a tasty beer...good luck!

Huh, I always like Simcoe at 60 mins for hoppy beers. I get more pine than anything from it. Each to their own!

I would agree with getting rid of the 6 row and maybe using Munich or Vienna. The hops are you're decision. It's your beer and you know what you want to try. It will be very citrusy with all that citra at the end. I just kegged an APA with 2 oz citra and it's quite prevalent.

Hops are such a personal thing. For me I would at least double the hops being used on this brew. I like to use very little to bitter and load up at the end to achieve the high IBU desired. I really like smooth bitterness and massive flavor and aroma. I'd also double or triple your dry hops, but really like a short time like 7 days.

Your recipe looks nice. Without putting it through a calculator I'm guessing your looking at a 7.5% beer. What type of yeast are you going to use? If you don't know how to make proper starters i would suggest lallemands bry-97 California ale yeast. Its a dry yeast. I've used it on two IPAs i really enjoyed.

I agree with the others. 6 row is unnecessary. I make my IPAs exclusively with Maris otter or vienna. I find they add more flavor than the standard two row. If you can, try swapping your 2 row with Maris otter. Or at least a portion of it if you find it to costly. I would aim for between 50 and 65 IBU and dry hop with at least 2.5 oz. preferably with 4 oz. don't even bother with a hop bag. Just throw them into primary for 7 or 8 days. They will sink to the bottom after a few days. You will get the most out of them without the hop bag. More surface area exposed to beer. Be sure to dry hop after fermentation completes not during. Grain to glass should be a minimum of 1 month. Optimally 2 months.

Without running the numbers sounds like a fairly big beer maybe in the double IPA range (13.5 lbs of goodies). Probably need to lean on the hops a little.

Hops are such a personal thing. For me I would at least double the hops being used on this brew. I like to use very little to bitter and load up at the end to achieve the high IBU desired. I really like smooth bitterness and massive flavor and aroma. I'd also double or triple your dry hops, but really like a short time like 7 days.

I agree. This hop schedule looks like a pale ale, not an ipa. I'd look at using 4-5 ounces in the dry hop, and I personally use approximately a metric **** ton of hops in the last ten minutes of the boil.

Also, I'd drop the 20 minute addition, and stay at 15. Myself, I'd use a1 oz addition at each of fifteen ten five and flame out, and five ounces for the dry hop. But that's just me.

One other thing, I think 154 is too high to mash at. I like 152 for my ipas.

outrunu said:
I agree. This hop schedule looks like a pale ale, not an ipa. I'd look at using 4-5 ounces in the dry hop, and I personally use approximately a metric **** ton of hops in the last ten minutes of the boil. Also, I'd drop the 20 minute addition, and stay at 15. Myself, I'd use a1 oz addition at each of fifteen ten five and flame out, and five ounces for the dry hop. But that's just me.

I like what you wrote.

I got a Maris otter citra smash IPA in the pipeline now. Added 1 oz at 20,10,5 and flame out. Gonna dry hop loose in primary with 3 oz, cold crash, filter, then dry hop again with an additional 2 oz in keg. Its gonna knock the pants off of people at the New Years party.

Latest posts

Back