Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainsock

Reaction score
So far I've brewed about 5 batches and I've noticed that each one has a distinct after taste. The only common ingredient that I can find besides the water is Hallertauer Hops. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed a very bitter after-taste with these hops. I've been using Brewers Best kits and so far that seems to be the Hop of choice....wondering about a possible substitution. One thought that I've had as well is that I am using a single stage fermentation. Would racking to a secondary mellow out that bitterness?

What recipes? When are the hop additions? How long are you fermenting and bottle conditioning?

Sounds like it may just be a matter of patience (Hallertauer isn't generally a harsh hop) but its hard to tell without more details.

you might be getting carmelization of the wort. Extract has already been boiled so a hot break is not necessary. At the beginning of your boil only use 1/4 of your extract and whatever bittering hops that are called for. In the last 15 minutes of the boil add the rest of the extract to ensure sterilization.

Try this thread if you want more

I doubt it is the hops. Hallertau is not a very bitter hop, and IMO has a sweet fruity kind of a taste. However, you may be experiencing the LME twang. My first batch I used LME, then read of the twang here, and when that batch was ready, I could definitely taste it. While I was waiting for that first batch, the second batch used LME and I could taste it there too. I stopped using LME after that, and am now doing AG, and that taste has never been back.

Another consideration is how much water you boil...Whenever I brew with LME, I always try to boil as close to 5 gallons as possible. I've noticed this helps because of less chance of scorching the LME during the boil.

Is there any way to use LME and not get as much of the twang? I hear, from this thread, that doing a full boil helps. What else is beneficial to reducing that twag effect? Boil on a lower temp for longer? Steep additional specialty grains? What?

I only ask because the cost of LME is significantly less expensive that DME.

For example, on Morebeer.com

Wheat LME: 2.35 / lb

Wheat DME: 3.85 / lb

Shooting for the same gravity in my Weizen I'm making it would take:

6 lbs of LME = $14.10

vs.

5 lbs of DME = $19.25

I guess $5 in the grand scheme of things isn't that bag, but it would add up. Is it worth the cash just to invest in DME?

Jekster said:
...Boil on a lower temp for longer?...the cost of LME is significantly less expensive that DME...Is it worth the cash just to invest in DME?
Uh, boiling at a lower temp? Than 212F? Boiling is boiling...Just joking with you. Funny stuff.

I know DME cost more, but if you are financially able to buy in bulk the price will come down.

I buy 55# boxes of malt from midwestsupplies.com, you can find other on-line stores. I use Extra Light DME for my base malt and add a bit of grains to match clone recipes, etc. I also order Wheat DME at the same price.

I can get 6 batches from one box and still have enough left over for starters, etc. I go through 3-4 boxes a year. :D

Anyway, the twang will be gone and that effects the overall flavor.

In answer to one of your questions:

A secondary can NEVER hurt your beer. If you don't believe me, just try it once and see how much sediment continues to accumulate at the bottom of your carboy.

I think you guys are right about the LME. I just tasted a batch that i used DME and that twang isn't there. Thanks I think I may have just become a convert. :mug:

BierMuncher said:
In answer to one of your questions:

A secondary can NEVER hurt your beer. If you don't believe me, just try it once and see how much sediment continues to accumulate at the bottom of your carboy.

I'd never say never. If you rack it through a moldy tube and spash the mess out of it on the way, it would hurt your beer by contamination and oxidation. You'd be a stupid ass to do that, but there are always exceptions. ;-)

Back