Hops vs Brambles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boy

Reaction score
Can't find anything on the topic.

The side of our yard has a drainage ditch absolutely filled with blackberry brambles. Unfortunately the DOT own this little section between us and the road so I can't really do anything major to get rid of them. As they creep into our yard every year I have to fight them back. Since hop roots can take over an area is it possible that they could choke out some of this growth? Thinking that if a put up a small fence and started letting the hops take it over I would get: 1. Hops 2. A nice divider that over time would hide the ditch, 3. Hopefully push the brambles back as they fight for water.

Probably a long shot.

You've got a tough road ahead of you. I am guessing those blackberries in the ditch aren't the nice and dainty native blackberries, but probably the evil, thorny, woody introduced "Himalayan" blackberries that are nearly impossible to get rid of without mechanical as well as chemical control (2,4D). Looks like the state of Oregon considers it a noxious weed (http://www.oregon.gov/ODA/PLANT/WEEDS/profile_himalayanblackberry.shtml), so you might be OK taking some extreme measures to get rid of them.

I'm guessing blackberries are going to win that battle if you don't intervene. But planting some hops in there AND cutting back the blackberries a few times a year might work.

Personally I'm thinking redneck Napalm but I don't think that would fly. Especially with the Forest service and FD right down the street. I was just thinking that maybe I could take out one invasive species that I hate with one that I love. And yes these are the god awful thorny as hell brambles that take a stout weed eater to cut through.

If you're persistant you can get rid of them. But you have to cut back the above-ground growth frequently, and dig up the roots that regenerate them frequently. I don't think burning will work, the underground roots will just send up new shoots. You have to eliminate the underground roots and make it so the roots are constantly LOSING energy by producing new shoots, then cutting those shoots back before photosynthesis can make the roots GAIN energy for the next round. It takes patience and persistence but eventually the roots will run out of energy.

Back