hops tincture?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gagunga

Reaction score
I know a lot of people make vodka tinctures with flavorings such as chili peppers, vanilla, fruits, etc. Have you guys ever made a vodka tincture with hops? It sounds like a waste of time but for science sake, have you tried it in a brew?

I took some everclear got it real cold and added about a oz of hops and shook it for about a 1- 2 minutes and filtered it into a small jar..i also did the same but allowed the alcohol to evaporate leaving me with a hop oil.. in my opinion it was a waste of hops

I took some everclear got it real cold and added about a oz of hops and shook it for about a 1- 2 minutes and filtered it into a small jar..i also did the same but allowed the alcohol to evaporate leaving me with a hop oil.. in my opinion it was a waste of hops

An interesting experiment though. How was the aroma of the oil? Pungent? I wonder how a hops 'hash' oil would perform... boiling hops in alcohol or the butane process to create an extremely concentrated 'hopsh' oil extract. :D

Friend did this. Added hoppiness but less than a dry hop. I'd only do this if I were doing a real balls to the wall IPA that already had a massive hop stand and dry hop.

An interesting experiment though. How was the aroma of the oil? Pungent? I wonder how a hops 'hash' oil would perform... boiling hops in alcohol or the butane process to create an extremely concentrated 'hopsh' oil extract. :D

I thought it would have been very pungent aroma but in my case the aromas changed and not for the better and left me with just a bitter dark green almost black "hash oil"..I used crystal hops..who knows maybe a different hop variety would be better for a alcohol extraction but C02 extraction is probably the way to go to keep the terpenes intact..I dont think it would be a good idea to boil hops in alcohol for 2 reasons,, 1 being its dangerous to have alcohol near an open flame and 2 hops are very volatile so you will lose aroma..in my opinion i would recommend not doing it and either invest in a c02 extractor or just buy hop extract cheers

I would like to try tincture instead of dry hop with which I have no good experiences. I've read enough about it. Some people praise this way, and some claim it can not replace dry hop.

Does anyone have experience with hop tincture?

Latest posts

Back