Hops suggestions for SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kassad

Reaction score
Going to brew an AG SMaSH using some 2 row American Pale Malt. Hop choices are Citra, Saphir, or Galaxy.

Anyone have any recommendations. I'm leaning towards the Citra but I thought I would through it out there for some other ideas.

I love Citra, but be careful. You know what they say about too much of a good thing, and you want to be able to taste the malt.

Saphir for sure, though for the bittering addition you will need a fair dose of them. Spicy noble hop characteristics. Yumm!!!

Ha ha, I love it. Three different hops listed and three different replies on which one to use.

I personally would go with the Citra.
Or, perhaps you should try a split boil. Do a single mash, but split the wort into 3 boils and try each of the different hops (does require some extra fermenters though).

Cheers!

Never used Saphir, but I've done single-hop brews using Galaxy and Citra and actually preferred the Galaxy by a scoche.
Citra isn't happy as a 60 minute bittering addition, imo...

Cheers!

Everyone loves the idea of SMASH but I would always use extract at 60 then use your single hop at less than 20. It’ll generally just taste better IMHO.

Everyone loves the idea of SMASH but I would always use extract at 60 then use your single hop at less than 20. It’ll generally just taste better IMHO.

I find myself mainly using Magnum for the 60 minute boil addition to save money. But that would spoil the fun of making a SMaSH.

That what I do. I use a hop shot from Yakima Valley at 60 mins. That's an easy 30 ibu's. Then hop with what ever single hop I'm using. I get really even consistency like that.

Latest posts

Back