Hops shelf life...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keger8tor

Reaction score
How long do hop pellets last in the fridge in a ziplock bag?

I brewed a couple recipes that only called for 1/4 ounce and I saved the rest. It’s been maybe 3 weeks, but I won’t be able to brew again until next weekend.

Get all the air you can out of the bag, and you'll be fine. I've stored some partial bags of hops this way for months. Store them in the refrigerator.

Hops that are properly stored will last a long time. I've used hops that were stored in the freezer for nearly five years.

Here’s what Hop Heaven sends out with their hops:

IMG_0719.jpg

Almost all of my hops are a couple to as much as 6 years old. They are vacuum bagged and frozen. They are still making good beer. Maybe not as good as super fresh, but still good.

Air contact shortens the life substantially. Cold (fridge or freezer) and vacuum sealed (or better yet nitrogen sealed) they'll last quite a while. Ziploc bags in the fridge, I'd use within a couple months. Your timeline I think you'll be fine. They'll have degraded slightly in terms of character but it shouldn't be a noticeable issue.

Latest posts

Back