Hops question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenman999

Reaction score
If I add hop pellets to the boil, after cooking and cooling and pouring into the primary, do I strain those out? Or leave them in for the fermentation process?

I am not fan of it, instead I am using hop bag to prevent hops to siphon into fermentor.
Also, you can make hop spider or some kind of strainer to keep your hops in BK.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
I’ve been using a hop bag every time I brew and just last weekend I wondered if there was a difference between using one and not. I mean, if I just put the pellets in, would the hops be more pronounced? It seems like the hops in the bag soak up a lot and just sit at the edge of my kettle… I’m not sure they’re being very proactive.

I've done the bag and putting them right in the boil kettle. It seems there is better utilization on the kettle, and they fall out in the trub, so I don't see a need for dirtying a bag.

I've never bothered with a bag for hops. I simply throw them into the boil at the appropriate time. When I siphon out of the kettle into the fermenter once I see a lot of hops and other stuff that settled to the bottom going into the siphon hose I stop, leaving as much as possible in the kettle. Some stuff inevitably makes it into the fermenter, but soon settles out. Once the fermentation is done I siphon off of the trub into secondary, leaving as much as possible in the primary. I take great care when siphoning into the bottling bucket to get nothing but clear beer in the hose. I have had no problems from this--haze, cloudiness, off tastes, etc. Even if you use a hops bag you will have to take just as great of care in siphoning to keep from getting the other particulate matter.

I use a hop spider to contain the hop matter. Mainly due to also using a plate chiller. I don't want the hop matter to get stuck in there. Whatever is in the kettle (otherwise) goes right into the fermenting vessel.

Back