Hops on Sale At Austin Home brew!!! errr.... Man what to do with em?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlainD

Reaction score
so this is an awsome deal Austin Homebrew Supply and I'd love to make some IPAs but I'm not sure what I'd put them in..... Can I just throw an oz of each of them in a basic Pale ale recipe or would that be awful?

I mean not all at once but maybe .25 oz at 60 30 and dry hop....sorry

BlainD said:
so this is an awsome deal Austin Homebrew Supply and I'd love to make some IPAs but I'm not sure what I'd put them in..... Can I just throw an oz of each of them in a basic Pale ale recipe or would that be awful?

Dunno if I'd use all six. I'm not sure Willamette is a good mix with some of the others. But you could sure do three or four :). I don't really need hops ATM, but I'm thinking of adding that to my next AHS order anyway b/c there's some I'd love to try out :)

Or use some and vacuum seal the rest to be stored in the freezer.

That price still seems a tad high though. I'm buying a pound of challenger, ammerillo, chinook, cascade, and perles for 14.00 from hop union.

I use a lot of hops in my IPA and pale. 14 oz go into the IPA with 4 oz dry hopped and 8 oz into the pale with 2 oz dry hoped

squirrelly said:
Or use some and vacuum seal the rest to be stored in the freezer.

That price still seems a tad high though. I'm buying a pound of challenger, ammerillo, chinook, cascade, and perles for 14.00 from hop union.

I use a lot of hops in my IPA and pale. 14 oz go into the IPA with 4 oz dry hopped and 8 oz into the pale with 2 oz dry hoped

I just ordered 5 lbs from HopsDirect and they're all out of Amarillo... damn.

No need to vacuum seal any as they're all shipped in individual one ounce bags. I've been eyeing this deal as well. It works out to about $1.11 per ounce, which seems pretty good to me.

passedpawn said:
Alright, so since this is a homebrewer site, why would one compare the price of a wholesaler to a homebrew supply place?

Good point... perhaps you could share your secret for how to order from HopUnion? ;)

Avg. price per oz, after shipping, from HopsDirect was about $0.75. Word.

.75 per ounce is decent. Hops direct and hop union are pretty close in price depending on variety.

Share my secret? Sure; open a home shop or start brewing at a pub or craft brewery.

squirrelly said:
.75 per ounce is decent. Hops direct and hop union are pretty close in price depending on variety.

Share my secret? Sure; open a home shop or start brewing at a pub or craft brewery.

Tempting...

If you have a business tax ID and place an order that covers their minimum amount. I'm sure they would sell them to you wholesale unless they have territory agreements with their customers.

Like the guy with the hopostles idea. You could make an all one hop IPA 5 times

To get back to the OP's question, you can do whatever you want with hops, but check out their profiles by searching for one of the many places that lists them to see what the hops are like and what they tend to be good for.

The varieties included in that deal are almost all high alpha hops that are typically used as bittering hops. Warrior, Columbus, Galena, Summit, nugget are all great bittering hops. Some people use columbus for flavor/aroma too. Willamette can be a great aroma/flavor hop, but be careful with Willamette and nugget, some people love them and some people hate them.

They all can be used to make great IPAs though and there are no rules for using hops. Good luck!

That is great and all, but completly unhelpful to the OP or any homebrewer to rip on the price they paid for hops compared to what you can get from a wholesaler.

To get back to the OP's question, you can do whatever you want with hops, but check out their profiles by searching for one of the many places that lists them to see what the hops are like and what they tend to be good for.

The varieties included in that deal are almost all high alpha hops that are typically used as bittering hops. Warrior, Columbus, Galena, Summit, nugget are all great bittering hops. Some people use columbus for flavor/aroma too. Willamette can be a great aroma/flavor hop, but be careful with Willamette and nugget, some people love them and some people hate them.

I noticed the high alpha acids but I see in a lot IPAs that the same hops are used for bittering and for flavoring/aroma. Is that not as common as I think or do they not add as much flavor as I would want?

Also can I just take any Pale ale recipe and add hops as I please or are certain recipes better for different hops or IPA style?

If I were "ripping" on the price you'd know it. Sorry if that got under your thin layer of skin. I simply stated that the price seemed a tad high. Simply an observation.

If the OP chooses to advertise his preferred supplier, I will do the same. Got to love capitalism and free markets!

As to the unfriendly attitude toward pro, semi pro, or craft brewers, this baffles me. The Brewing Network is a homebrew show, and 99% of the listeners are homebrewers. 100% of the BN army is homebrewers, but the majority of the session shows revolve around a pro brewery. If it weren't for the pro brewer's segment the shows would simply be a little bit of homebrew talk and a lot of evaluating other beers.

Back to the hops; as I said .75 an ounce is about as high as I'd pay from a retailer.

BlainD said:
I noticed the high alpha acids but I see in a lot IPAs that the same hops are used for bittering and for flavoring/aroma. Is that not as common as I think or do they not add as much flavor as I would want?

Also can I just take any Pale ale recipe and add hops as I please or are certain recipes better for different hops or IPA style?

You can certainly use a base pale ale recipe and change the hops. I'd do something simple like 95% 2-row, 5% Munich as a slightly malty base, then hop away :)

Is it really a must to use all these hops at once? So long as they are air tight, out of light, and frozen they will be fine for a couple months.

You can certainly use a base pale ale recipe and change the hops. I'd do something simple like 95% 2-row, 5% Munich as a slightly malty base, then hop away :)

Word. I'm going to use the AHS Session West coast pale ale recipe as a base because I'm familiar with it... baby steps...

These hops arrived at the store this week. Simply store them in the freezer and use them as you need them. They are in one ounce bags. Thanks to the hundreds of people that have made the purchase. I made a special purchase on these varieties and passed the savings on to you.

Forrest

@OP, if you're a new homebrewer, might I suggest you do some single-hop batches to learn about each of the hops?

As others have mentioned, no reason to use them all at once and i think you'd be more pleased with using just a couple varieties in a few different batches. Lots of good info around that you can use to determine what pairings should be good together!

Is it really a must to use all these hops at once? So long as they are air tight, out of light, and frozen they will be fine for a couple months.

They'll be fine for way longer than a couple months. AHS sells their hops vacuum sealed in those light-proof foil bags in one ounce individual packages.

Just pick a style and I will write you a custom recipe.

Forrest

I was thinking something like this is based off your Session west Coast Pale ale (please forgive any noob mistakes)

Batch Size: 5 gallons
Boil volume: 3 gallons

LME Pale 4lb
2-row 1.5 lb
Crystal 90L .5 lb
Biscuit Malt .25 lb
Melanodin .25 lb

Warrior Hops
.5 oz @60 min
.5 oz @30 min
.5 oz @15 min
1 oz Dry hop

8 oz Malto Dextrin

WLP0001

OG ~ 1.056
FG ~ 1.009

IBU ~77

INPUT WELCOME!!!!! HELP ME OUT!

I was thinking something like this is based off your Session west Coast Pale ale (please forgive any noob mistakes)

Batch Size: 5 gallons
Boil volume: 3 gallons

LME Pale 4lb
2-row 1.5 lb
Crystal 90L .5 lb
Biscuit Malt .25 lb
Melanodin .25 lb

Warrior Hops
.5 oz @60 min
.5 oz @30 min
.5 oz @15 min
1 oz Dry hop

8 oz Malto Dextrin

WLP0001

OG ~ 1.056
FG ~ 1.009

IBU ~77

INPUT WELCOME!!!!! HELP ME OUT!

The recipe sounds good but I would pick something citrussy for the dry hop like cascade, amarillo, centennial, columbus, etc.

Made a visit to Austin Homebrew and bought some today. Great deal and all individually wrapped per oz. Thanks AHBS!

Back