Hops not in the fridge.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turfmanbrad

Reaction score
Searched and couldn't find the answer. How long will vacuum sealed foil pack pellet hops stay fresh if they're not kept in the fridge? The wife decided to take my ipa hops out 2 weeks ago and not tell me.

As long as they're sealed,they should be ok. But most of us keep hops in a zip lock bag in the freezer to keep them as fresh as possible.

Two weeks probably didn't hurt a sealed package anyway. Just pop them back into the freezer and tell your wife you'll store the hamburger in the warm cupboard with the hops if it happens again. LOL!

B

hops often smell cheesy when they go bad. when it's time to use the hops, if they smell cheesy then you should try to replace them with some fresh ones bought from the local home brew store.

Hops deteriorate due to the effects of heat, light and 02. The more that you keep them away from those three the better you are. There actualy is a calcualtion used in the hop growing industry known as the hop storage index. You can look that up if you want to try and calculate the loss you experianced. By the time that you begin to smell the cheezy aroma the hops are pretty much worthless and best not used. That smell does not occur until the hop has lost at least half of its acid content. If kept light free, 02 free and at 0 C most hops will last several years, as a rule of thumb I try and only buy enough hops for a year. Some deterioate faster than others....Cascade is one of the worst. Most likely your loss due to the removal from the frig will never be noticed but I woul suggest that you freeze your hops and keep them from light in a 02 free bag. Most retail dealers supply hops in 02 free and or light barrior bags.

Back