Hops not for beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcubz

Reaction score
A bit of a dumb question. Are there any types of hops that are not used for beer. I have planted my own galleria rhizomes and a guy at work gave me half of his established mystery hops. They are separated by 20 odd feet and he doesn't use them for beer just decoration. After the cones come I'll try to figure out what type of hops they are but just wondering if there is any kind (not rotten or spoiled) that shouldn't be used.

I have gotten hops like this before. A co worker moved into a house that had a at least 15 year old plant overtaking the side of the house. I harvested the cones last year and did a couple of SMaSH brews with it. After many many tastes, I am almost positive its chinook. The only way is to try them out. This spring i went over there and cut out an 18" rhizome and planted it in my hop garden. Its going crazy.

If the Leaves are pretty yellow, they're Sunbeam. This is decorative. It's supposed to be a saaz type hop. I made a smash beer with them. You can drink them, but it's not going to want any awards. It's earthy and a little Spicy, kind of like saaz. If the Leaves are a hearty green color, it's likely a brewable variety.

Latest posts

Back