HOPS - need a substitute for Target for bittering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
I'm making my 4th batch of my East India Porter and I use 2oz of Target for bittering. HOWEVER - seems my shop has no target and suggested Fuggle or Willamette.

HOWEVER - Target has Alpha Acids in the 11% range while the suggested are in the 5% range.

Suggestions? ideas?

the other hops are East Kent Golding and Spaltz.

12.5 lb pale Ale
8oz Black Patent Malt
4oz Brown Malt
4oz Chocolate Malt
2oz Target 60 min
1oz Goldings 15 min
.5oz Spaltz 15 min
.5oz Spaltz 5 min
Londen ESB Ale yeast

it's awesome good!

Challenger would be fine too. If all you can get is a 5% hop, for the bittering addition, use an ibu calculator online and use more until you match the intended ibus of the recipe.

Northern Brewer - did not consider that - good choice

Challenger would be fine too. If all you can get is a 5% hop, for the bittering addition, use an ibu calculator online and use more until you match the intended ibus of the recipe.

I considered that but I did not want that much junk floating around - I would need 4oz just for bittering.

I use Challenger to bitter my India porter, works well. Why 4oz brown malt rather than 4lb?? :D

I would also recommend Challenger. My lots have all come in between 8% and 9% AAs versus Target at around 11%. This is not too far off in terms of AA% that you would need to double your hop loading.

my current lot of Target is at 11.1% (* 2 oz = 22.2 HBU). My Challenger is at 8.9% (22.2 HBU/8.9% = 2.5 oz.)

IMO, you dont need a substitute for bittering. Just use any (preferrably high alpha bittering) hop and adjust the amount to impart the same IBUs. YOu cant taste the bittering hop apart from just its bitterness. Theres small differences due to oil content, but in most cases it doesnt really matter exactly which bittering hop you use

Back