Hops lifespan - sealed and frozen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gtrman13

Reaction score
I plan on buying a few pounds of hops soon. Just a few types that a use frequently in the hopes that I can save some money. It will take me a while to use up a pound of a single kind of hop, but I have a vacuum sealer so I can reseal every time I use some. If I reseal whenever I use some and keep them in the freezer, how long will they be useful?

A long time. At least a year but probably two and 3 if they are taken care of well. Instead of sealing and resealing, I recommend portioning the bag into smaller amounts and leaving them sealed till you need them.

Simple Question=Complex Answer. A good description exists HERE
It basically depends on several factors:AA, BA, and oils, as well as temperature stored, breed of hop, leaf or pellet, and amount oxygen in contact with the hops.
+1 to Bottle Bombers post.

Simple Question=Complex Answer. A good description exists HERE
It basically depends on several factors:AA, BA, and oils, as well as temperature stored, breed of hop, leaf or pellet, and amount oxygen in contact with the hops.
+1 to Bottle Bombers post.

I guess that's the most exact way to go about it. It would be neat to put that in some kind of interactive / spreadsheet format.

From Designing Great Beers, on p 89, there is a table with hops vs storage temps for loss in one year. My chest freezer is around 15°F, so I'll list off the closest from the book @ 20°F:
Cascade: 74%
Mt Hood: 77
Tettnanger 79
Fuggle: 82
N Brewer: 88
Galena: 93

At 0°F
Cascade: 81%
Mt Hood: 84
Tettnanger 85
Fuggle: 87
N Brewer: 92