Hops in the mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy_84

Reaction score
I know someone has posted about it before I believe. Has any added hops to there grain while in the mash tun. I have an AG IPA I'm going to brew this weekend. Ruff estimate about 5 to 6 gallon batch. If that helps with anything. Thinking about maybe putting .5oz of chinook hop pellets in the mash tun with the grain. Any suggestions or thoughts on this.

I'm pretty much of a neophyte, so I'm not sure I am much of a resource. But, it seems to me that you would merely get lower hop utilization at the low temps. Then, any oils that were extracted would have plenty of time to boil away.

Hopefully, the more experienced brewers can correct me if I'm wrong. But, this is just a bittering addition, since virtually no oils would survive the boil. The only reason I can think of doing this would be if you bought too many hops and wanted to use them up quickly.:drunk:

I think it would serve more like a first wort hop addition where you get the bittering but a little less harsh that at a 60 minute boil.

Advantages?? Disadvantages?? I have no opinion. I might try it some day for s#!ts and giggles.

I did a version of my house IPA last december where I added up all the late addition hops and added 50% more and then put them in the mash. I bittered as usual and then dry hopped. I added NO late boil or whirlpool hops. It was interesting. I wouldn't do it again but there was impressive hop flavor from the mash hop.

Cool I might try it out pretty much when I divided all my hops out I'll have about .5oz left. So I was wondering if anyone has mash hopped and what the result was.

I'm pretty much of a neophyte, so I'm not sure I am much of a resource. But, it seems to me that you would merely get lower hop utilization at the low temps. Then, any oils that were extracted would have plenty of time to boil away.

Hopefully, the more experienced brewers can correct me if I'm wrong. But, this is just a bittering addition, since virtually no oils would survive the boil. The only reason I can think of doing this would be if you bought too many hops and wanted to use them up quickly.:drunk:

Exactly! For those same reasons, any claims made to benefits of mash hopping and bundling all late hops and using them as First Wort Hops (FWH) have never made any sense to me. Is there actually proof and scientific research why this could work?

When I first started brewing, hops were cheap. Like 39 cents an ounce cheap.

So I did do some mash hopping. I still do on occasion, if I have free hops or really cheap ones.

I never tried a batch with MH side by side without MH, so I can't definitely say it was markedly different. But I felt that there was a depth of the flavor that was not present in other batches.

I use FWH often, and feel that it's got a different quality in the bitterness than a straight 60 minute addition and I got the same bitterness quality from the MH too.

I usually give the spent grain to my dog (well, part of it), and on the batches where I mash hop I don't. So I normally don't do that, plus hops are now so much more expensive. I grow quite a few varieties, though, and will probably use some cascade in some IPAs when I feel like it.

The best advice I have is just to try it and see. I wouldn't really bother with .5 an ounce as I don't know that there would be much of a difference, but using an ounce or more as MH could probably tell you if you think it's worth it or not.

A side note on mash hopping is that whole leaf hops will aid in lautering, but pellets can do the opposite. When I'm second guessing the quality of older whole leaf hops, I'll toss them in the mash.

A side note on mash hopping is that whole leaf hops will aid in lautering, but pellets can do the opposite. When I'm second guessing the quality of older whole leaf hops, I'll toss them in the mash.

Oh, yes, I forgot to mention that! I MH with whole hops, and not pellets. Those little SOBs will disintegrate and can clog up the braid or false bottom. If I was going to MH with pellets, I'd definitely do BIAB or something to contain those little buggers!

@yooper, I stopped mash hopping because I use the spent grain for dog treats!

Slide 7 from this presentation touches on mash hopping. I wish I saw this presentation. https://www.hopunion.com/library/Brewing India Pale Ales - Matt Cole.pdf

:off:
My dog LOVES them. A couple of weeks ago, I made some up and then stuck one in my pocket when I went outside where my husband and dog were out by the flower garden. My dog, a 9 year old Lab, went berserk. He starting through his entire repertoire of tricks- low crawling, doing a low volume bark ("little woof"), rolling over (both directions), sitting up, shaking, etc. My husband said, "What in the world is wrong with the dog?!?!"

He smelled the treat I guess, and he started performing for it right away! I pulled it out of my pocket and gave it to Toby. He never does that for other treats- you have to tell him to do something. But for peanut butter/spent grain treats, he can smell them a mile away!

I use this recipe. The dog seems to like it the most. http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/recipe/spent-grain-dog-treats

Back on track... I don't want to have to notify the admins about this OT crap... ;)

My experience is that mash hopping retains flavor compound that are similar to 15 minute additions. But it takes more hops. I have an eHerms system and I use pellets without any issues. I dough in and then start my recirc and add hops and then recirc on top of the hops.

From what I have read other places the chemical compounds get locked up in a way that the boil does not convert the alphas to isoalpha acids. I think it can be a fun way to experiment but given the excessive hops that I use I can't afford to mash hop. That being said, some large breweries, like stone, mash hop on big DIPAs. Is it effective? I can't say for beers like that.

For one added technique, if you want more utilization out of your mash hops try doing a hop stand with them into the mash. I boil up some water, drop the hops in a container with a lid and give it a vigorous shake, and then dump it in the mash. I've done this with and without DME in the water. I'm not sophisticated enough w brewing to give a flavor profile for such additions, but it does contribute bitterness.
I generally do this only with a leftover 1 or .5 ounce of whatever is on hand, reduce my fwh by .25 or .5 ounce respectively, and then move those hops to the hop stand.

I've done lots of mash hopping and you do get flavor and aroma but I found the strength of it a little inconsistent so I'm back to late boil additions.

Back