Hops in the Heat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neumann

Reaction score
My last brewday (Monday), I had an ounce of Nugget hops sitting as backup because I was changing my process and if my efficiency jumped, my IPA was going to need to become an IIPA. I did gain 10% but that wasn't nearly enough to require the extra ounce of Nugget. I tossed the unopened package of hops into the crate that most of my smaller brew stuff resides in and packed it away in my mud room (think enclosed porch, no climate control except what leaks from the main house) and forgot about it until Wednesday. I occurred to me that those hops weren't being helped by the heat in that room (probably 80+ degrees during the day). I got them out of the crate and tossed them in the freezer. Do you think the heat in that room was too much? Should I toss that ounce? I was thinking of dry hopping with them but they may have been too abused for something like that. The package wasn't in direct sunlight but it has been all sorts of hot here the past week (I think we are supposed to hit 100s soon :drunk:).

Throw them in the freezer and mark them so you remember to check them out when you open the package. They might be somewhat hurt from the heat, but if you use them as a bittering hop and they don't smell bad or cheesy, then I say go ahead and use them.

They should be fine.as long as you put them in the freezer. You may have lost a small amount of alpha acid content. I personally would not worry too much as long as they smell and look fine

Latest posts

Back