Hops in boil or in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KuntzBrewing

Reaction score
Ok I'm making an American IPA with 14lbs rahr 2 row and 1lb carmel 40 with warrior hops boiled 90 minutes for bittering now for aroma and flavor hops should I boil them or just throw them in secondary, I'm planning on keeping this beer in primary for 3 weeks racking and dry hopping for 2 weeks then bottling and carbing 3 weeks ( all these weeks have been calculated based on how long my typical beers take to round off the rough edges)

Being as to how I'm not gonna drink this for 8 weeks after boiling the hops would it be best to just add all my non bittering hops into my secondary?

You will want the hops in the boil, AND in secondary.

Also, leaving the hops in the secondary for 2 weeks is too long in my opinion.

I've noticed that the hop taste/aroma has faded a lot after fermentation ceases. That's what makes me wonder if its better to bitter the beer then add all aroma hops in the secondary being that this beer is ment to put the hops in the spotlight.

Later the hop additions, the more aroma...but NOT flavor or bittering. So keep in mind hops are a balance. You don't just want to smell a steak only to bite into a piece of clear jell-o. There should be some flavor and bitterness coming from the hops, IMO.

Absolutely. You should have some flavor and aroma hops from around 20 min. left in the boil down to flameout and then dryhop for 7 days or so. :mug:

Thanks folks this helps me understand better, ill probly skip late late aroma hops addition to boil but do some flavoring around 30minutes

I hear that 30 minutes is no man's land. That is why I recommended 20 up to flameout. Keep in mind it is just hearsay but I have done a few brews with hop addditions at the 30 minute mark and they did not turn out with as much flavor as I had hoped. Just an idea, maybe someone with more experience can chime in. Good luck!

Keep in mind that there is NOT any set in stone rule for hop additions...

Think of it as a sliding scale, at the far left (the beginning of the boil) is the bittering, transitioning into flavor, then the further right you go (end of boil) will be adding aroma.

Check this chart to get a general idea of how boil time affects bitterness, flavor and aroma. Read the horizontal axis as 'boil time left'. According to this chart flavor peaks when you add hops 20 minutes before the end of the boil.

Check this chart to get a general idea of how boil time affects bitterness, flavor and aroma. Read the horizontal axis as 'boil time left'. According to this chart flavor peaks when you add hops 20 minutes before the end of the boil.

I have seen quite a few recipes where it has you add an ounce of aroma hops at flameout. Based on that chart wouldn't you think those hops would be better utilized at 7 minutes, especially if you are wanting a real good strong aroma? It almost seems like an ounce of hops at flameout is a waste of money. Thoughts?

Thoughts?

The chart is simplified and should only be used as a general guideline, and I believe it doesn't take chill time into account. As if they generated the data for the graph by boiling hop additions and taking them out rather than leaving them in the wort when it's being chilled. That sort of eliminates the chill time variable (which is different for each brewer) and only leaves the boil time (which is more or less a constant). Dunking hops in boiling wort for 7 minutes might yield the same results as just dropping them in at FO and then chilling the wort.

I read this somewhere a while ago, but I have no verifiable source. Just use this chart as a general guideline to get an idea of what happens in the boil, and the closer to 0 minutes you get, the less accurate the chart is :)

Latest posts

Back