Hops Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbench

Reaction score
I am planning on trying all grain later this year. I also enjoy gardening. Can anyone suggest a good all around hops rhizome to try to grow. Or is this just a naive endeavor. Also, anyone have a source for bulk barley. I've only got 2 extract batches under my bely so if these are dumb questions I apologize. Love the site.

not sure on the hops, I just throw money at the LHBS for hops and hope its fresh. Barley...most LHBS and online ones will sell 30 or 55lb bags of 2-row, Munich, Pale malt, etc etc. the place by me sells it for ranging from 60cents to $1 a pound if you buy a 55lb

I've heard that Cascade and Willamette seem to be the easiest to grow, and they would be very versitle in American styles. These are the ones I'm getting soon.

Per advice from the guys at freshops.com, I just purchased Cascade and Nugget rhizomes. According to them these are fairly good varities for a beginner to start with.
If you are going to get into growing your own hops, you might want to get 'em quick. Most suppliers have just released there rhizomes for sale and they go pretty quick. Also, pick up a copy of "The Homebrewer's Garden". It has a lot of info not only on growing hops, but also on growing your own grains and such.

Cascades would be a good choice. They are pretty hardy. I started with 4 rhizomes. This will be the fourth season for them. Don't get discouraged the first year. The first season they are establishing the root system. By your third year you will have more than you know what to do with.:)
Cheers,

I planted chinook, fuggle, and perle last year. they all grew very well but only the chinook flowered (I've read this is expected for first year hops). I know that hop varieties and growth depend on the climate, I live in NY, so you should look up which varieties grow well in your area, but dont be disappointed if you dont get anything the first year.

hops can be grown even in 5 gallon buckets and are not difficult to grow, you just need room for something that they can vine onto. they make beautiful plants even without the flowers and the hops can be used for tea and other things if you have a few bucks for rhizomes and a little space to grow them you should definitely go for it.

Thanks for the help. I will check my supplier and heed your advice. Thanks again.

Buy what you know you will put to use! I use a lot of Magnum Northern Brewer, Kent Goldings. So I would not jump on something like Saaz that is not called for in my three staple beers.

My .02

Latest posts

Back