Hops help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballsy

Reaction score
Okay, so I have an imperial stout kit which came with Millennium hops for bittering. I wanted other hops and was recommended Nugget & Chinook for bittering and East Kent & Fuggles for flavoring. I have limited taste experience with hops, but see that Millennium can be substituted for Nugget. Are they really so different that it is worth buying Nugget when I already have Millennium or does it actually have different qualities re: bitterness that would affect the taste of this stout?

Thanks!

If you've already got Millennium, use it; no need to waste money to get something else for bittering. The only real difference you'll achieve between Millennium and Nugget for bittering is how bitter the beer turns out. This is dependent on the alpha acid (aa) content of each hop variety as well as the utilization rate (i.e. how vigorous your boil is and how long the hops are boiled for).
High(er) aa hop, boiled vigorously for 60 mins will result in a more bitter beer than a low(er) aa one boiled for the same time.
If the aa for Millennium and Nugget are roughly the same, the bitter aspect of the beer won't be different...
Bittering hops don't really contribute to flavor/aroma because all the volatile compounds that provide the flav/aroma have been driven off in the boil.

If you've already got Millennium, use it; no need to waste money to get something else for bittering. The only real difference you'll achieve between Millennium and Nugget for bittering is how bitter the beer turns out. This is dependent on the alpha acid (aa) content of each hop variety as well as the utilization rate (i.e. how vigorous your boil is and how long the hops are boiled for).
High(er) aa hop, boiled vigorously for 60 mins will result in a more bitter beer than a low(er) aa one boiled for the same time.
If the aa for Millennium and Nugget are roughly the same, the bitter aspect of the beer won't be different...
Bittering hops don't really contribute to flavor/aroma because all the volatile compounds that provide the flav/aroma have been driven off in the boil.

Thanks for confirming. I'm glad for the suggestion of additional hops due to this kit calling for strictly bittering only...good to have some flavoring in there as well I would imagine. Will be stopping by LHBS to get the Chinook, East Kent, and Fuggles! Might even grab some Citra while there since everyone raves about it and I have yet to try this. I have an Oatmeal APA on the way and might try messing with it in that one.

EKG and Fuggles are great for stouts. I wouldn't use Citra in a stout, but Citra would work for the APA (might not go too well with oatmeal, but experimentation is a core aspect of homebrewing!).
Cheers!

EKG and Fuggles are great for stouts. I wouldn't use Citra in a stout, but Citra would work for the APA (might not go too well with oatmeal, but experimentation is a core aspect of homebrewing!).
Cheers!

Yeah, I'm not sure what hops they are sending w/ the Oatmeal APA kit. I really want to re-order the IPA kit which was 1st brew I ever did and screwed up...maybe will add Citra to that one...I love being able to "re-take" a test that I flunked!

Hey guys, I'm putting together an all extract coffee stout beer. I have some molasses around that I thought I'd use as well. So I'm stuck on what Hop to use. Any thoughts?:tank:

Cheers!

Got the Oatmeal APA kit and LOL...it came with a bunch if citra...and centennial. Will hopefully brew it this coming weekend or maybe a weeknight so we'll see!

:mug: So I went with Millennium.
Here's the recipe:
Steep 4oz. dark roasted barley(20 min/170degrees)
in 1 & 1/2 gal R/O water.
Remove grains and sparge with warm water into brew pot.
Top up to 2 gallons and bring to boil
Add 7 lbs. dark DME,
Add 1 oz. Millennium hops,
Boil for 55 min.
chill wort and pour into fermenter,
Top up fermenter to 5 gals.
Pitched yeast wort temp at 65 degrees.

Add 16 oz Cold Brewed Rwanda-Sumatra coffee
when moving to secondary.
Wish Me Luck!

In Bottles:
Jelly Donut Ale(Raspberry Brown)
Snik-L-Fritz(lemon citrus wheat)

In Primary:
Papazian Who's in The GardenGrand Cru

Cheers!

Update, just tasted 1st bottle of the oatmeal APA 1.5 wk after bottling and was pleasantly surprised at how good it is. Very smooth due to oatmeal and good fruity aftertaste from the citra!

Update, just tasted 1st bottle of the oatmeal APA 1.5 wk after bottling and was pleasantly surprised at how good it is. Very smooth due to oatmeal and good fruity aftertaste from the citra!

Awesome! Thanks for the update! I might just have to try something like a Citra-hopped oatmeal APA!
Cheers!

:mug: So I went with Millennium.
Here's the recipe:
Steep 4oz. dark roasted barley(20 min/170degrees)
in 1 & 1/2 gal R/O water.
Remove grains and sparge with warm water into brew pot.
Top up to 2 gallons and bring to boil
Add 7 lbs. dark DME,
Add 1 oz. Millennium hops,
Boil for 55 min.
chill wort and pour into fermenter,
Top up fermenter to 5 gals.
Pitched yeast wort temp at 65 degrees.

Add 16 oz Cold Brewed Rwanda-Sumatra coffee
when moving to secondary.
Wish Me Luck!

In Bottles:
Jelly Donut Ale(Raspberry Brown)
Snik-L-Fritz(lemon citrus wheat)

In Primary:
Papazian Who's in The GardenGrand Cru

Bottled this just today, in 12 oz bottles. It smells delightful, got a small taste of it, and has good coffee flavor. Can't wait for December, waiting is the hardest part.

Back