Hops growing in uk, help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outcastjra

Reaction score
Ok everyone, just left the az desert and now stationed in the uk! I want to start growing hops now! Please help with a quick guide, and where I can get some nice vines or seeds to start. Thanks brewers!

You could start by reading this thread.

You really don't want to grow brewing hops from seeds, because only the female plants produce cones, and afaik seeds may sprout either gender, and you won't be able to tell the females from the males until well into the growing season.

So you want to start with either rhizomes (part of the root structure), crowns (basically a mature plant with the tops cut off) or "starts" (small rooted pieces of a host plant), any of which must be - or come from - female plants.

As for where to buy any of those, you'll be up against issues importing pretty much anything that can be grown, and likely that will include hop plants. So you'll do best by either getting on Google, or track down a local hop grower and find out where he/she got her start...

Cheers!

You will have to find a local source, agricultural products are highly restricted for importation. Try homebrew supply stores, local homebrewing/hop growing clubs, a local grower that is willing to dig up some rhizomes... If you find a UK hop rhizome or hop plant vendor, please post to the group. I have compiled a USA supplier list (and 1 from Canada). I would like to add some other countries to help out my foreign website visitors. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back